137. 𝑆𝑤𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝐵𝑦 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑆𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑠

Iris

Cain held out his hand for me and I hesitantly took it as I got up from my seat. He led me to a stairwell past the small corridor in the building and we began walking up it. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

"And my ball?" I questioned.

"It's up there," he assured me.

I remained quiet and followed his lead for the next couple flights of stairs. We reached the top of the stairs to be met with a large door. Cain pushed it open and we were suddenly welcome with the cool breeze in the night air.

"Here we are," he said as we stepped out into the roof. He suddenly stopped walking and I frowned as he turned to face me. "You need to close your eyes."

"Okay," I nodded. I moved to hold my hands over my eyes, but he moved behind me and held his hands over my eyes. With the lack of sight, I took cautious steps as he led me in a certain direction.

"Walk slower, why don't you?" He asked sarcastically.

"I don't want to fall," I muttered as I continued walking.

"I'll catch you if you fall," he said.

"You can't catch me," I laughed.

"Well I'll try and if for some odd reason I can't, we'll fall together."

"That's so comforting," I mumbled sarcastically.

"Here we are," he said as he stopped me from walking. "Don't judge me, Iris. I'm bad at these things."

"At what things?"

He removed his hands from over my eyes and I blinked as I looked around. There was a blanket on the floor with a basket beside it, and small golden lanterns illuminated the area around us. On top of the blanket was a yellow folder and in front of the blanket, on the edge of the roof, stood a telescope.

"What's all this?" I questioned as I turned back around to face him. My eyes widened as I saw a single rose in his hand and I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Is that for me?"

"Just take it," he groaned as he held it out for me. I did as he said and he looked around nervously before walking to the telescope. "Come here."

I went to his side as he instructed and he bent down to look into it. After a few more moments, he stood up straight and nodded quickly before looking at me. "Okay, I set it up. Just look."

He stepped aside for me to stand in front of it and I took a deep breath before looking inside the telescope. I could see the regular dark sky in Underworld, but it was filled with stars. We had our own galaxy as the earth did, but if you tried to reach it, you'd go into a different realm.

I smiled as I saw a comet pass by, and when it did, my eyes landed on two stars. From this distance, they seemed to be close enough to be touching and I looked at them in awe.

In the Underworld, there were myths about touching stars. Apparently, they represented the soulmates in the universe and the stars stayed together in space as people would stay by their loved ones.

I'd heard plenty of stories about them, but I never actually saw them in person before.

"They say that the stars choose the beings that they latch upon. That their souls will forever be attached to one another if the stars wish it," Cain said.