31. 𝑀𝑦 𝐵𝑟𝑜𝑘𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑠𝑠

Syn

1 Hour Ago

I held the invitation in my hand as I exited the back of the limousine alone. I hated parties, but I felt like I needed to go. I wouldn't have come though if I didn't get an anonymous invitation at my door. I assumed it was whoever left the other letter and decided to come.

The person I didn't expect to see here was Queen. She was with Dimitri and I watched from afar as they looked like a happy couple. Shit, I would've believed they were perfect if I couldn't feel his nails digging into her skin.

My eyes remained on them as I left the car and I drowned out everything else. From my peripheral, I could see the crowd and reporters yelling and reaching for me, but the only words I could hear were Xavia's.

Whether she was real or a figment of my imagination was not yet known to me. All I knew was that her advice needed to be followed. Don't give up on her.
I said a lot of hateful things yesterday out of emotion and I hoped she wouldn't hold it against me.

Anger coursed through my veins as I saw a reporter grab Queen's arm. I'd take a mental picture of her in my mind and deal with her later for touching her. Queen seemed startled by the contact and looked at her in surprise.

"Is it true now that Mr. SinClaire is back, you'll leave Dimitri?" The reporter questioned.

Instead of waiting for Queen's words, I studied her body language. As if I saw it in slow motion, I watched as she turned her Dimitri instead of answering. Her fast heartbeat thundered in her chest and her breath hitched. All of that, told me one thing.

Whatever she says next, is a lie.

"It's not true."

Lie.

They continued walking and a commotion startled Queen and I watched her fall backward. I instinctively ran to catch her and when she looked at me, the already frozen world around us disappeared.

"Watch your step," I whispered as I held her. Our eyes remained locked for what felt like an eternity, then like a train, Dimitri came out of nowhere and the world around us came back to like.

"What are you doing here, SinClaire?" He asked.

"I was invited," I said as I held up the invitation. I didn't want to speak to him at all, killing him was a lot more appealing but there were too many witnesses. Also, I couldn't until Queen told me the truth.

"It's brave of you to appear in front of me after shooting me in the head. What if I told everyone here tonight?" He said.

Funny of him to think that I gave a shit what people thought. I was the spawn of the Devil. People would be more afraid of me if I didn't hurt people. His threat didn't phase me one bit-

"Please don't!" Queen said as her eyes pleaded with him. My eyes fell onto her nervous features and I studied her once again. Why was she more afraid of my fate than I was? Why was she begging her fiancé, the man she loved, to keep a secret of mine?

Why was she protecting me?

Things began to fall into place as I noticed Dimitri's angry look directed at her. The happy couple suddenly didn't seem so joyous from up close. Many possibilities came into my mind, but the one that lingered seemed the most plausible:

Queen loved me. And the person she'd been trying to protect is me. The only question I had now was what she was protecting me from. Could it be Dimitri? I looked at him and sure he could get maybe one punch in, but I'd snap him in half before he could get another one.