109. 𝑆𝑜𝑢𝑙 𝑇𝑖𝑒𝑠

Queen

I left the car and Syn waved at me before they drove away. Now that I was standing in the large driveway alone, my nerves were back tenfolds. I adjusted my hair in the reflection of the window of one of the cars and I took a deep breath as I walked towards the porch of the house.

I rang the doorbell and took a step back as I waited. I clasped my hands together awkward since every position felt wrong and my eyes widened as I heard steps coming towards the door.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck....

The door opened and I plastered a smile on my face. I looked up to see a man with an uncanny resemblance to Cain. His hair was a slightly lighter shade of brown than Cain's and instead of the messy style Cain wore his, Abel's looked neat and styled.

He adjusted his glasses in his nose as he raised his brow at me and I noticed his golden-brown eyes. My father definitely gave them good looks. It was actually quite creepy to see. Abel was almost our dad's twin. The only thing that differed was their hair color, which he seemed to get from his mother.

"Hey," he said with a yawn. "How may I help you?"

"You're my brother," I said slowly.

"I am," he nodded with a tired smile.

"I just wanted to introduce myself," I said nervously. "I'm sorry if I woke you up, I'll just go." I stepped back to leave but my foot bumped into something and I yelped as I fell backward.

Before I could fall to the floor, Abel caught my hand and pulled me upright. "Are you alright?" He asked after I steadied myself.

I winced as I stood up straight and my new embarrassment was now mixed with my nervousness. "I'm good, thanks."

"Are you leaving?" He asked.

"I should. I'm sure I'm caused you more than enough inconvenience for today."

He nodded slowly and I gave him a small smile. "Do you want ice cream?" He asked as he hooked his thumb in the direction of the door.

"Ice cream this early?"

"What better time?" He asked.

"Okay," I nodded.

He walked into his house and held the door for me and I entered. I wrapped my arms around myself as I adjusted to the cool living room and Abel walked past me. As I followed behind him I looked around and studied his home.

It wasn't as sleek and modern as I had seen in most places in the underworld. Despite its large size, it was homey. Instead of cool whites and greys decorating the house, there was a vast mix of brown and red.

From as far as I could see, he lived here alone. As I slowed my steps in the hall, a picture of him and Mia caught my eye. They were both grinning like idiots with what looked like whipped cream all over their faces and hair. If I hadn't known any better, I'd think they were happy.

It wasn't the photo that only caught my eye, unfortunately. The glass frame holding the picture was shattered as if someone had punched it. Abel walked back next to me and sighed as he looked at the picture.

"What happened to it?" I asked.

"Are you referring to the picture or us?"

"Both."

"She's your friend, right?" He asked.

"Yes."

"Well then I'm sure you're aware of her outbursts," he said.