23. 𝑀𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑂𝑓 𝐷𝑒𝑓𝑙𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛

Mia

I left the foyer when Lucifer and Queen came back to talk to Syn. I didn't know how everyone felt but I for one was ecstatic to have Syn here. Queen for some reason wanted to keep what happened with Dimitri a secret and I had no idea why.

All I knew was that Syn would protect her. And that's all that mattered. I walked back to my room quietly and when I arrived, I jumped when I saw Cain sitting on my bed. I was supposed to be trying to stay away from him.

At least that's what my boyfriend wanted me to do. We'd been dating for the past couple of years, and he proposed to me a few weeks ago. I told him I'd think about it but I still for some reason couldn't say yes.

I didn't doubt that it had something to do with the maniac sitting on my bed though. His legs were crossed as he read a magazine and when I walked in, he smiled up at me. "Hello, my love."

"Let's not do this today," I muttered. He grinned and returned his attention to the magazine and I sat next to him. "We need to hang out today." I wanted Queen and Syn to be alone so I made up an excuse for Cain and me. Now I just needed to follow through.

He glanced up at me then back to the booklet. "Can't."

"Why not?" I asked.

"I'm busy tonight," he muttered.

"With what?"

He grinned as he slowly looked back up at me and closed the book. He tossed it to the side and clasped his hands into his lap. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I mean, friends usually talk to each other about these things," I said with a small laugh.

He sighed and rolled his eyes before looking back at me. "Well...if you must know, I have a date with Jocelyn."

"Your lawyer?" I asked in shock. "You're going on a date with your lawyer?"

"Ehh sorta, sorta not," he said with a shrug.

"Isn't she married?"

"Why are you asking so many questions?" He asked with a laugh. "If I didn't know any better I'd say you were jealous."

I scoffed and crossed my arms. "I'm not jealous at all."

"Okay."

"Okay," I mimicked.

"Alright," he shrugged once again.

"Cain seriously how are you going to call me your love and stuff, and then go on a date with someone?" I pouted. I knew that I shouldn't have been as upset as I was but the thought of him going out with someone was a thought that I didn't like.

"The same way you have a boyfriend yet you're upset about who I go out with," he replied.

I took a deep breath and remembered a few words from my newest therapist:

"It's not Cain's job to stick around while you figure out what you want. You know you need stability, he's not that, Jackson, your boyfriend, is that."

When I opened my eyes I saw Cain looking at me with a smile on his face. "What therapy bullshit did you just think about this time?"

"It's not bullshit, it really helps me," I said sadly.

His smile dropped and he sighed. "Okay, sorry about calling it bullshit. But what did you think about?"

"Just something she said. She told me I needed stability, and she's told me I needed to follow my mind when it came to relationships," I said carefully and precisely.