125. 𝑅𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑅𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝐺𝑜 𝐴𝑤𝑎𝑦

Iris

"Thank you, Roger," I said sweetly to the pharmacist. He gave me a large smile and waved at me before I walked out of the store. I'd become rather accustomed to the people working here after having to pick up medication from my grandfather after all this time.

I began the short and familiar walk home and tucked the small brown bag into my purse. It was rare that it was ever this bright in the Underworld, but it was a nice change.

I quickly continued walking and after a few minutes, I reached my porch. I climbed the steps, but my walking slowly halted as I saw the front door slightly open. I furrowed my brows in confusion and walked towards it.

I always lock the door when I leave.

I pushed open the door slowly to see nothing out of place and I stepped in. "Grandad?" I called out.

"Leave, Iris!" I heard him yell.

I immediately ignored his order and ran in the direction of the yelling. I reached the living room and my eyes widened when I saw my grandfather bleeding out on the floor. I was panic-stricken as I rushed to his side and held a hand over the wound on his stomach.

"Iris, no..." he said weakly as he looked behind me.

I looked over my shoulder to see Mia sitting on the couch licking a bloody knife and my mouth dropped. "Mia, why would you do this?!"

"Don't worry," she said in boredom. "I will heal him. He won't die."

"Why are you here?!" I yelled as tears streamed down my face. I could hear my grandfather's breathing become shallower and the blank look on her face did nothing to help me calm down.

"I needed to speak with you," she said. "This was to get your attention." She got up from the couch with a sigh and pushed me to the side before crouching down to my grandfather. She bit the tip of her finger and placed it into his mouth momentarily.

She stood up after a few moments and I watched as the open wound closed. With a relieved breath, I helped my grandfather off the floor and sat him down on the couch.

"Please leave," I begged as I turned back to Mia. "We won't call the police, but leave."

"I'm not afraid of the police," she said dryly. "I also am not here to kill anyone. But trust me when I say that past me definitely would have. I'm growing, you know?"

"What do you want?"

"I'm here to take off whatever spell you have over Cain," she said.

"What are you talking about?"

"Cain is in love with you," she said. "I know it's because you're somehow using whatever fairy magic you have to make him."

"No, he's not," I said as I shook my head.

"Then why can I smell his scent in here?" She asked as she closed her eyes.

"We just hung out," I admitted. "He's just my friend, I promise."

"Well," she said. "You may see him as a friend, but he's being tricked into liking you."

"I have no spell on him," I said honestly. "I can't even do any spells."

"I don't believe you!" She yelled. "I won't be deceived by you like he was."

"I'm not—"

"Shut up!" She snapped. "I don't want to hear shit. I'm just here to protect my friend."

"I wouldn't hurt him," I cried. "Please just go."

"I can only be sure one way," she said as she crouched down to my level. "As I'm sure you know...fairy magic comes from the wings."