24. 𝑁𝑜 𝐹𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐴𝑡 𝐷𝑖𝑛𝑛𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑖𝑚𝑒

Queen

After Lucifer left and everyone went their separate ways, Syn and I were the only ones left in the palace beside the guards and servants. I truly didn't feel like dressing up tonight but it was a formal dinner. If only it wasn't between just Syn and me, I thought with a sigh.

I tied the strings from my black heels up to calves and stood up to adjust the black satin dress. The material was incredibly thin and I couldn't wear a bra with it so I hoped it wasn't cold in the dining room. 

The dress ended at the halfway point on my thighs so the length wasn't truly something I was worried about. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and glanced at Bezy who had fallen asleep on my bed. I lifted the covers over his large body and he snuggled into it.

With a small laugh, I headed towards my door and opened it. At the same time, the door across from me opened and Syn walked out of his room. It wasn't truly a surprise that he chose the room across mine.

I cleared my throat and looked at the new guards positioned at my door and nodded at them. "Good evening, your highness," one of them said.

"Hey," I replied. "Please keep an eye out for Bezy."

They nodded and I closed my door. After everything happened with Dimitri, I never found out why my guards weren't there. Nobody would say anything so I took a precaution and fired them and replaced them.

My eyes moved to Syn who was dressed differently than his usual attire. Instead of a button-up and jacket like usual, he was wearing a grey vest over it with matching pants. His sleeves were rolled up to his forearms and I could see the pronounced muscles on his arms.

"Are you going to stare or are we going to dinner?" He asked.

My cheeks flamed in embarrassment and I walked past the guards and him and made my way to the dining room. He followed a short distance behind me and I somehow felt him looking at me but I didn't dare to look back.

"You look good," he said from behind me.

Deep breaths, Queen. I didn't give him a response and continued walking. A few minutes later we enter the dining room. I took a seat at the head of the long mahogany table and he sat in the other.

The room was dimly lit, the only things providing any source of light being the candles on the table and the moonlight from outside. I grabbed a bottle of wine and poured it into the glass. I was going to need liquid courage to get through this.

Syn watched me intently as I filled the glass to the brim and downed the entire thing within a few seconds. I poured myself another glass and Syn chuckled deeply. "Don't drink too much. You might get yourself into some trouble."

My chest rose and fell quickly at the tension in the room and I ignored his warning. He placed two ice cubes into his glass and poured the amber liquor sitting next to him into it. The clinking of the ice hitting glass and he raised it to his lips was the only sound being heard in the room.

"How was your day, dear?" He teased like we were some boring old couple eating dinner.

I rolled my eyes at the comment and stared down into the wine glass. "My day was fucking amazing. A man moved into my home without my permission."

"Did I need your permission?" He asked.

"It would've been nice."

"Noted."

We stared at one another seriously and the air in the room became suffocating. The only thing that broke the air was the opening of the kitchen door. One of the palaces' cooks, Mac rolled in a cart and placed a plate of food down in front of me.