136. 𝐾𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑑𝑜𝑚𝑧

Iris

I heard a commotion downstairs and immediately woke up from my sleep. I was a heavy sleeper, but when it came to my grandfather...I just needed to hear one questionable thing and I'd be up. I rushed out of my door and straight downstairs, but slowed down when I saw Cain and my grandfather arguing in the kitchen.

"It's a damn waffle maker!" Cain exclaimed as he pointed at the appliance on the counter.

"You see me making the waffle without that shit," my grandfather said as flipped something in the pan with one hand.

"That's a goddamn pancake."

"This is the problem," my grandfather started. "You kids these days want everything to be easy instead of working a little bit harder."

"Don't even start," Cain warned. "I'm way older than you."

"Not mentally," my grandfather mumbled.

"You guys are arguing again?" I groaned as I walked deeper into the kitchen. I yawned in tiredness as I rubbed my eyes and my grandfather walked around the island and kissed me on the cheek. If there was one thing that made me happiest about having Cain around, it was my grandfather's newfound energy.

I didn't know if it was because they were both old souls, but they hung out and talked all the time. They even went on walks, which my grandfather never did before. For the past week, since Mia did what she did, Cain had been staying with us.

My grandfather of course let him. He figured that if Mia were to come back, Cain could help protect me the way he couldn't. I told him that the two guards Cain placed outside of our home would be enough, but they both had their minds made up.

It wasn't like I didn't want him here though. It was a lot nicer than I expected. I was just confused about quite a few things after our..."meet-up" last week. I went to get my crystal ball, but I left with more than the, plus a now jumbled mind.

Last Week

I parked the car to the side of the dark road and slowly exited the car. I knew we were supposed to meet, but this felt like more of a place you kill someone.

I looked around the road and the forested area to see nothing in sight except a large warehouse. I would've thought it was abandoned if it weren't for the light emanating from the windows. There was a man dressed in all black with a gun standing by the door and I wondered what dangerous things could've been happening in there.

It's none of my business.

With that in mind, I turned my attention away from it. I must've taken a wrong turn on my way over here. I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed Cain's phone number. After a few rings, he picked up and I heard chatter quiet down in the background.

"Iris," he said slowly. "Are you here?"

"Umm, I don't think so," I admitted as I looked around. "I think I'm lost."

"What do you see?"

"Well, woods and a warehouse...I guess."

"Nope, you're in the right place," he said. "Come in."

"Into the warehouse?"

"Yes."

"A man is holding a gun, Cain. And this place looks scary. You can't just come out and bring the ball."