54. 𝑀𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑈𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑

Syn

It wasn't long before Queen's heartbeat evened out and her soft snores filled the room. Knowing she was finally asleep, I looked to Hades who was completely absorbed in what he was doing on the computer.

"Is there another reason you're here?" I asked him.

He smiled up at me and adjusted his glasses before shaking his head. "I just want to keep our Queen safe," he said. "She's made the underworld more...kind, for lack of better words. No offense to your father."

"None taken," I muttered. "What do you mean kind, though?"

"You and your father are great but the underworld seemed to always be such a dark place. I get that's it's supposed to be, but it feels like more of a home instead of a torture world now," he said as he looked up at me. "I hope I'm not crossing any lines, your highness."

"You're fine."

When my father was in charge, it was true that we didn't place any sort of importance in making sure that the underworld felt like a home to its residents. We cared more about torturing souls and world domination.

Hearing Hades speak so highly of Queen's reign made me look at our differences. How could someone so sweet fall for someone like me? I wondered if I ever asked myself that question because it didn't take a genius to figure out that I hardly deserved her.

"She never stopped loving you, Sir," Hades said.

"Excuse me?"

"Queen, she never stopped loving you."

I looked back down at my sleeping beauty and ran my finger along her soft skin. It pained me to think about her never getting back the man she truly loved, the old me. Could she truly live a life with me creating new memories as she was stuck in past ones?

"Hades, I don't remember her before I died," I said.

"How?"

"I have no idea, I just woke up back here and I knew everyone except her."

"Well the only beings able to erase memory are Heavenly ones. Did you go to Heaven after you died?" He asked with a laugh.

I became serious as I remembered the deal I made with the Seers for Xavia's life. They clearly didn't keep their side of the deal so who's to say they didn't take my soul anyway.

"Suppose someone in Heaven did take my memory, how would I get it back?" I asked.

"Well," he began as he put the computer to the side. "There are a few options."

I nodded for him to continued and he removed his glasses and set them to the side. "Option 1, beg God...mind you, that never works. Option two, go to a warlock that specializes in ancient magic. They'll shock your brain with black magic and you'll either come out with your memory or be a vegetable until the end of time."

"Comforting, any more options?"

"One, he said. I've done research in Heaven and they have a reversible cure to memory loss since there are a lot of rogue angels who seem to mess with memory."

"An apple."

"Seriously? An apple?" I asked in disappointment.

"Not just any apple, an apple of knowledge from the garden of Eden. It has the ability to cure any ailment that your heart desires. Usually you can only get it after going to court in Heaven and the supreme leaders decide-"

"How easy is it to break into the garden?" I questioned.

"Oh, it's impossible," Hades said. "It's heavily guarded and there's a barrier you can't pass unless you belong to Heaven."