78. 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑟'𝑠 𝐿𝑎𝑘𝑒

Syn

"I go out," Bezy said as he pointed to the door leading to the outside field. I learned he had a habit of wanting to play with the fairies outside and I tried my best not to interfere. He'd spend hours with them if he had the chance.

"Go ahead," I said as I looked back down at my phone. He cheered loudly before leaving the palace and running to the field.

I'd been waiting for Queen to get ready so I could take her out but she was taking forever. I looked through the social media account we created a few hours ago and rolled my eyes at the number of notifications we were getting. We were already over one hundred thousand followers and we hadn't posted anything.

My phone began ringing in my hand and my father's contact flashed across the screen. I answered it expecting to hear my father but I heard a small voice and immediately recognized it as James.

"Hey," I said. "How are you?"

"I'm okay," he said. "I just wanted to say hi."

"I tried coming to see you a few times," I said honestly. "I was told you didn't want to see me?"

"Yeah," he said in a small voice.

"Why?"

"I don't want to be sad if you die again."

I was stunned into silence at his words and I pinched the bridge of my nose. That explained all of his strange behavior in the past few weeks. He hardly talked to me after the day I came back and whenever I tried to approach him, he left.

"I'm not going to die again," I said.

"Can you promise?"

"No," I said. "But nobody can promise. You want to spend time with the people you love whenever you can so just in case something happens, you have those memories."

"I know."

"If I died you'd be sad anyway, so why not be sad with memories of me you can have?"

"You're right," he said. "Can you take me to school on Monday? It's my first day at a new one."

"Sure," I said. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"You called me before I convinced you to stop avoiding me. What made you do it?"

"Oh, someone wanted to hear your voice," he said.

"Who?"

"Umm," he said nervously. "Me- I umm, I wanted to hear it. I miss you."

"Miss you too. I'll see you soon."

"Okay, bye." He hung up the call before I could say anything else and I moved my phone away from my ear slowly. He was still acting strange but that would have to be something I investigated when I went to go see him.

Queen walked down the stairs and my eyes moved to her. She skipped down the stairs and her hair bounced wildly on her shoulders until she made it to me. "I'm ready!"

"Damn," I said as my eyes fell on the outfit she chose. She wore a red bikini underneath a nude long sleeve mini dress and before I could get any more lost in her outfit, she pushed a duffel bag against my chest.

"Stop staring," she whined. "Where's Bezy?"

"He's outside," I said.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to tell the servants and fairies to keep an eye on him."

"Okay," I whispered.

She turned away from me to head outside and my eyes traveled to her backside. I didn't know what it was about her that just turned me into some horny teenager.