144. 𝐵𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑇𝑜 𝑀𝑒 - 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑂𝑛𝑒

Cain

I yawned as I set the Vudu doll down on the nightstand and glanced at the clock on the bedside. It was almost midnight, but we managed to finish making the doll. Every time I looked at it, I got chills from the waves of dark energy I could sense from it, but I ignored it.

I couldn't die anyway. What did I look like being afraid of a faceless doll?

After restless hours of research and perfecting the magic, I was beat. I had experience with magic considering I had made all of the artifacts in hell, but it was still draining. I let myself relax into the fluffy pillow in Iris's bed and a small smile appeared on my lips.

Her sweet scent wafted into my senses and I sunk into the bed. I closed my eyes, and when I heard the shower stop, I was immediately awake. I didn't know how long girls truly showered until I stayed here with Iris. I was cursed to remain young forever, but I felt myself aging as I waited for her.

I'd almost recognized her routine and I knew in a few seconds, she'd be blow-drying her hair. Like clockwork, the sound of the dryer floated through the room and I smiled to myself. I didn't know where my sudden energy came from, but I knew it had a lot to do with the small surprise I had for her.

We'd been busy all day so it didn't feel like the right time to give her it, but we were finally done. I just needed her to get out of the damn restroom before I barged in. I messed around on my phone and checked on my sister before setting it down and checking on the present I had.

I was nervous as shit and I completely hated the feeling. I'd always prided myself for being so smooth, but I felt like I was going to break out into hives as I thought about what to say to her. Looking at the time, she was most likely done putting on lotion and just getting dressed.

I relaxed knowing that I had at least five more minutes, but my eyes widened when the restroom door opened. Her eyes landed on me as I awkwardly sat on the bed and she raised a brow. "What are you hiding?"

"Nothing," I said quickly...maybe too quickly.

"Weirdo," she muttered with a small smile on her face. I expected her to be dressed when she came out, but she was wearing a fluffy pink robe that ended a little bit above the halfway point on her thighs. She was usually more nervous about what she wore around me, but I was glad to see that she was loosening up a little bit.

She walked to a drawer in her room and I eyed her every move until she looked at me through the reflection in the mirror. "Stop staring at me."

"I'm not staring."

"Then what do you call this?" She laughed softly.

"Admiring my beautiful girlfriend," I said as I stood up from the bed. She smiled at me before continuing to look through her drawers and I wrapped my arms around her waist. Her cheeks became a light shade of red at the gesture and I placed a kiss on her neck before resting my chin on her head and laying my arms on her shoulders.

"I hate when you do that," she groaned as she tried to move her head away.

"It's what you deserve for being so short."

"I'm not short," she said. "You're just tall."

"Well, get on my level and you don't need to worry about me doing this," I said in a mock voice.

"Rude ass."

"I have something for you," I said before she could turn her attention back to getting dressed.

"What?"

I stepped away from her and took her hand into mine. I rushed her to the bed and sat her down at the edge of the bed before moving to where I had the gift. When I picked it up, I held it behind my back and gave her a large grin before standing in front of her.