119. 𝐵𝑒𝑔𝑔𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝐶𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝐵𝑒 𝐶ℎ𝑜𝑜𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑠

Cain

I tapped my fingers along the table at the restaurant and checked my watch again. I was early but since Mia was the one that invited me out, I expected her to at least be early.

I was hesitant to come when I first saw her text message, but I remembered her reaction to when I said no to the movie and I didn't feel like dealing with a headache tonight. I was hungry anyway and if she was on some random bullshit, at least there would be food.

I took a sip of the whiskey on the table and sighed as I looked around the busy restaurant. It was a popular place so I wasn't surprised that there were a lot of people, but I was surprised that Mia managed to get a table at one of the more secluded parts of the restaurant.

I looked up as I saw Mia approaching the table and she gave me a bright smile before sitting down across me. "You came."

"Did I have a choice?" I asked dryly.

She rolled her eyes and I sighed as I looked around in boredom. "Why am I here?"

"I made a choice," she said.

"A choice about what?"

"About who I want to be with," she said happily.

"Oh," I said quietly. The news should've made me happier than I was, but I was indifferent to it. If she wanted to be with me, I wasn't sure I would be able to give in. Especially when I started thinking about Iris a hundred times an hour.

I saw her this morning, yet I was dying to see her again. I quite enjoyed our little arguments over irrelevant things. I was so distracted that I didn't notice Mia reach out for my hand. "Cain," she began. "Do you love me?"

Yes...I think?

I didn't know what answer to give, but if I told her yes right now, it'd be because it was on instinct. Not because I truly meant it. If she had asked me that question a few days ago, I probably would've said yes because it felt right, but now it didn't.

It felt strange. Like I was betraying a side of me that would disagree with the confession of love. I watched as Mia frowned when I stayed quiet and I held back a malevolent smile. It must suck truly. I told her loved her thousands of times in the past without her saying it back, but now our roles were reversed. She had no right to ask if I loved her.

"Mia," a voice said.

We both turned our heads and my jaw clenched almost on instinct when I saw Abel standing with a bouquet of roses. He looked down at my hand which Mia was holding and I immediately pulled away.

"Jackson," Mia said as she stood up. She kissed him on the cheek and guided him to one of the chairs beside me. "Have a seat."

"What is he doing here?" Abel asked. "You told me to meet you because you wanted to get back together."

"She told me to meet her because she decided who she wanted to be with," I said as I slapped his shoulder. "Congratulations, it's you." I stood up from the chair to leave, but Mia shook her head quickly.

"No, wait!" She said. "I'm not done."

I rolled my eyes as I sat back down and Mia smiled at the both of us. "As you know, I love the both of you very much. I'm so sorry for everything I've put the both of you through while making this decision. You didn't deserve it."

I smiled slightly that she began taking accountability for her actions and I sat up as I listened. Even though she was choosing him, I was beyond proud of her growth. I knew it took a lot out of her to be able to even choose let alone do it in front of the both of us.