104. 𝑇𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑀𝑒 𝐿𝑖𝑒𝑠

Cain

I sang along to the music blaring from the TV as I danced around the room in my boxers. For once in what felt like a million years, it felt like all my problems were alleviated. I was on top of the fucking world.

I never knew how much of an effect my mother had on my life until she was completely gone. Not only was I free, but I was fucking overjoyed. I got so into my personal concert that I almost didn't hear my phone from the table.

I quickly turned down the music and walked towards it to pick it up. I sighed as I saw Mia's number flash across the screen, but I answered it and laid back on my bed as I held the phone against my ear.

"Hey," she said simply.

"What do you want?" I asked as I looked up at the ceiling.

"Dang, I just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out," she said. "You know like we used to."

"Mhmm."

"I'm on my way home. I have snacks, I can get a pizza, and we can watch movies all night," she offered.

"No," I declined. "Thanks for the offer."

"Why no?" She asked. "Aren't we at least friends still?"

"I don't know, Mia."

"So just because of me not being ready to choose yet, we can't be friends?"

"I didn't say that. I didn't even say that was the reason."

"But you implied it," she said.

"How does 'I don't know' imply anything?" I argued. "I could be tired, Mia."

"Because before everything happened you would've come even if you were about to pass out, Cain. I didn't think you were the type to just drop me over something so stupid."

"How did I drop you?"

"You don't let me talk to you, touch you or answer my texts anymore. You're supposed to be my best friend and...."

As she continued ranting, a large wave of anxiety and stress began to wind up in my chest. I closed my eyes and moved my phone away from my ear as the sensation moved throughout my body. My body felt heavy and it felt like I was sinking into the bed.

I felt like shit, and it didn't help that I could still hear her talking on the phone. I loved Mia still, but it was starting to physically drain my energy. Especially when she wouldn't make a decision and I was forced to hang out with her.

Irritation began to chip away at my calm walls and I held the phone up again. "Fuck, fine!" I interrupted. "Fuck, Mia. I'll be there damn."

The line thankfully remained silent for a few moments until she laughed softly. "Thank you. I need someone to talk to."

If she was going to talk to me about Jackson like she always did, I'd never speak to her again. For her sake and my well-being, I hoped that wasn't the case.

"What toppings do you want on the pizza?"

"Why ask when you always get what you want anyway?" I asked. I hung up my phone before she could say anything else and I tossed it aside.

Less than two minutes ago, I felt like the happiest man in the world and now I felt even worse than how my mother made me feel. It was a numb feeling that felt like nothing at all, but everything at the same time. It was smothering any sort of happiness that I previously felt.

A knock at my door momentarily distracted me from my drowning state, but I kept my eyes closed. "Come in."

The door opened and I laid an arm over my eyes as I took a deep breath. My head was beginning to throb like crazy. "What do you want?" I groaned.