2. 𝑁𝑜 𝑀𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡-2

Queen

The chatter in the room became silent as I walked in and I bowed slightly. The crowd did the same in return and they made space as I walked past them to the throne. I noticed the group of district leaders standing near it talking with Dimitri and I walked towards them.

"There's our star of the night," Cain joked. He became the head of the human district in Hell and he took his position quite...seriously. I approached him and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"We were speaking about the rise of humans in hell," Dimitri said. "Heaven has set some restrictions that a lot of humans on Earth aren't able to surpass. So they're being dumped here."

I sighed in frustration. Heaven always seemed to make my job a lot harder these days. Since the pandemic hit Earth, the upper world had been hands-off. Most likely because they didn't want to deal with the sudden surge of souls.

When I noticed all the beings being denied access to Heaven I created a new one. It was a realm adjacent to Hell that mirrored Earth. A sort of paradise for those good people turned away from Heaven. I saw no better name for the haven besides Xavia.

"Has anyone spoken to Heaven's rulers?" Hades, leader of the demon fraction asked. "They should provide some help since this is their doing."

"I tried to reach out but Felix and Xyla seem more concerned with public image than realm issues," Cain said dryly.

My blood boiled at the mention of their names but I held back my rage. I had larger plans for them in the long run but for that to work, I needed them to be comfortable. Once an overwhelming sense of security enveloped them, hell would strike.

"Xavia still has plenty of space for now," I spoke up. "If there is a need for expansion then I'll handle it."

My eyes met with Hades and he shot me a charming smile. "Dance with me. I'd like to speak to you in private, my Queen."

"Your Queen?" Dimitri asked sweetly with a threatening undertone.

I shot him a warning look and took Hades' outstretched hand. The eyes in the room fell on us as he led me to the middle of the ballroom. He wrapped an arm around my waist and I laid a hand on his shoulder. He moved his lips to my ear and chuckled softly.

"He still doesn't know I'm gay, does he?" He asked.

I looked back to see Dimitri trying to converse with a group of Underworlders but keeping his eyes on us. "You don't really make it that obvious, Hades."

He spun me around and pulled me to him. "Do I need to make out with him or something?"

I laughed and shook my head. "No, but something that would help is if you were to stop flirting with me, right?"

"I'm sure it would help. But I don't like him so this is fun," he said.

"Mhmm. What did you need to talk to me about?" I asked.

"I need you to cut back on the vampire district funds this month," he said quickly. My eyes widened and I looked up at him. "Before you say anything, hear me out. I'm aware vampires need it for blood and daylight spells but us demons are a big part of what keeps things running around here."

"I'm listening," I said.

He dipped me and smiled once again. "I know your boyfriend won't support this but I have plans that I believe you would be interested in."

"What plans?" I asked.

"Give me an appointment," he said smugly. I scoffed at him and looked around. I never meant to make myself too inaccessible but I was a seriously busy woman these days. Mia, who was now my assistant had only recently been able to organize my schedule. "I understand your time is incredibly precious, your highness."