98. 𝑁𝑜?

Syn

"No?" I asked in shock.

I was completely taken aback at my father's refusal to halt his adoption papers for James. It was painful enough that he was all grown up when I came back, but now there was a chance I couldn't legally make him my son?

"I'm sorry," he said again.

I clicked my tongue and clenched my jaw at the confirmation of his denial. Who did he think he was? I appreciated everything he did for James after all of these years but what made him think he could just keep him.

I looked at Queen who looked at me worriedly and I passed her Saint. She took him into his arms and when he was secure, I took a step towards my father.

"What makes you think I'm asking?" I questioned.

"I'm not going to let you take him, Syn," he said. "I've been with him for all these years."

I scoffed and looked at him like he was crazy. "I didn't abandon him, I died! This isn't your second chance to be a father. He's MY son!"

The baby began crying softly in Queen's arms and she held him against her chest. She gave him a couple of kisses on his forehead and he quieted back down. With that, I turned back to my father for his response.

"Syn, you've spent less than a year with him all together. I've taken care of him for almost four years now. I gave up Hell, the Underworld, and my life to give him a better one. He's become my everything now and I can't let you take that away."

"I'm your son," I said lowly as I stepped towards him. "He is your grandson. I am alive and he belongs with me."

"No," he countered. "He belongs with me, Syn."

"Is that what he wants?" I asked.

"It's not about what he wants," he said. "He is a child. He's been through a lot. He doesn't need someone who may die on him. He needs stability."

"And that's you?!" I snapped. "You're stability?!"

"I am," he said. "You're about to become the King of Hell, I'm sure. Hell isn't a place to raise a child."

"You raised me in Hell!"

"And look how you turned out!"

"W-..." I trailed off in pain as I looked at him. He must've realized the mistake in what he said because he closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. "What is that supposed to mean?"

He dropped his hand and shook his head. "I didn't me-"

"No, you can't take that back. Tell me," I insisted. "How did I turn out?"

"Unhappy, alone, violent..."

I burst out into laughter and held a hand over my stomach. My eyes were brimming with tears but I ignored them and laughed. All my life, my father's approval meant everything to me. He hardly spent any time with me but I was sure that he was at least proud. To hear these words coming from his mouth was beyond painful.

"You say turn out as if you hadn't handcrafted me to become who I am. I was unhappy because you made me feel nothing! I was alone because I couldn't understand people! I was fucking violent because YOU made me that way!" I yelled. "You don't get to stand here and act as if me being the way I am is a result of my actions."

"I know," he whispered. "I've changed, Syn. Everyone in this room has. The world didn't stop when you died. Right now, I'm the best option for James and if you care for him at all, you won't take him away from the only true parent he's ever known."