eighty three

"pregnant?" gwen asks callie with wide eyes.

"pregnant." callie nods.

they sat in gwen's and mark's kitchen each one holding a cup of coffee.

"wow." gwen was lost at words. "that's unexpected."

"i know." callie nods.

"who is the father?" gwen asks.

"you remember that guy from the bar?" callie asks.

"oh, no. really? oh, my god." gwen gasps holding the cup in her hand tighter.

"yes. i'm so lucky. first my girlfriend leaves me and then i get pregnant from some dude in a bar whose name i don't even know." callie sighs.

"i'm here for you." gwen grabs her best friends hand.

"thank you. if you excuse me. i have to talk to arizona." callie says before leaving the room.

gwen sighs loudly sipping on her coffee. then mark walked out of the bedroom.

"good morning, honey." he greets her with a kiss.

"morning." gwen says sipping on her coffee.

"what's up?" mark asks walking over to grab himself a cup out of the shelf.

"callie's pregnant." gwen blurts.

"what? that's amazing. i'm happy for her. she loves kids." mark smiles but his smile fades as he saw the look on his wife's face.
"it's amazing, right?"

"yeah, amazing." gwen says before standing up putting her cup down.

"babe? gwen-" but mark got cut off by gwen closing the bedroom door.

he knew what was wrong with gwen but he didn't want to force her to anything. she'll come to him if she wants.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen walked down the stairs in the lobby when cristina and jackson walked up to her.

"i booked the o.r, i read up on the procedure. i know this thing better than my name." jackson assures gwen.

"i pre-rounded on the patient and her pre-op labs are all done." cristina adds.

"quadruple bypasses are exciting, right?" gwen asks stuffing her hands in her lab coat pockets. "first assist gets to sew all the grafts onto the heart? plum job!"

"i want it." cristina raised her hand as they arrived at the nurses station.

"it would be an honour." jackson smiles.

"i know. you're thinking whoever does this gets a leg up in the race for chief residents." gwen tells them filling out a chart. "but you wanna know a good way not to get it? that's to bug the crap out of me before my day even starts."

"i'm sorry. i'll back off." jackson apologizes. "actually, i'll go to the skills lab and practise my grafts. and you just let me know if you need anything at all...."

while avery talked cristina took the opportunity to grab the chart.

"yang took the chart. she took the chart? what?" jackson ran after her making gwen shake her head.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen stood at the nurses station when derek approached her.

"hi. what's going on? how's your day going so far?" derek asks his little sister.

"good. i've got a cabg later this morning with avery and yang, who have officially entered into the rabid dog stage in the race for chief resident, which could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing." gwen replies making him chuckles.