thirty

mark saw how gwen and arizona walking together into the hospital. they were laughing. he walked over them.

"i'll see you later." gwen says when she walks to mark. "hello."

"so you were together last night?" mark asks her.

"yeah. we went to joe's, after that we went dancing and then we both were too drunk and tired so i slept at her place." she explaines to him.

he just smirks. "so you two have not...?"

"no. two woman can be friends without having sex." she tells him.

"yeah they can. but not if one of the girls is a lesbian." he tells her. "do you want to go to an on call room?"

"actually not." she says pissed and walked away.

he watched her confused.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was being paged to the e.r to look at a man who got attacked by a bear.

"he just touched it. he just put his hand out." scott, the patient, tells them.

"and he touched a bear?" gwen asks.

"yeah. a cub." scott nodded. "and then the mother came."

"i bet she did." bailey says.

"why would he do that?" scott asks confused abou his brother behavior. "we go camping all the time. why..."

"ok, try to relax, mr.robinson." gwen tells him. "all right, get me a chest tube tray, please."

"did i hear bear attack?" richard asks as he stept into the room.

"complete evisceration." bailey informs him.

"get me 100 sux, 20 of etomidate." richard orders. "get me an intubation tray and an o.r now."

"are you gonna put me under?" scott asks gwen.

"sir, it'll be the best thing that's happened to you all day." gwen assures him.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was stepping into the scrub room were bailey, webber, yang and karev were scrubbing in for scott's surgery.

"i have a ross procedure, but i want to keep an eye on his chest tube outputs and blood pressure." gwen informs richard. "what's the game plan?"

"he's a set up for overwhelming sepsis. so we're gonna deal with the life-threatening blood loss, get out of here. you can't touch him until he's stable." richard tells her.

"i'm in o.r four. can i get hourly updates?" she asks him.

"oh i'll be more than happy to apprise you of his condition." cristina offers.

"fine. thanks." gwen says and left the room.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was in a surgery when cristina walked in to update her on scott.

"dr.shepherd. mr.robinson is critical, but stable." she informs the attending. "we had to put him on low dose levofed for his bp and he's put out 350 cc's from his chest tube."

"all right. i'll look forward to another scintillating report in an hour." gwen sighs.

"of course." cristina smiled.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"mr.robinson is better. we were able to dc the levofed." cristina informs gwen an hour later. "he's intermittently awake and lucid. his chest tube put out 100 cc's since i last saw you, and i'll be back in an hour with another update."

"is somebody chasing you?" gwen asks as yang run to the o.r door.

"excuse me?"

"what are you racing around for?" gwen asks again.

"uh... uh, no reason."

"no reason?" gwen asks with disbelieve. "not because you're running towards the finish line of this surgical contest?"

"oh, that. yes."

"are you winning?" gwen asks.

"yes. once i finish my sutures on mr.robinson." cristina explaines.

"too bad. i was going to let you watch me put mrs.witkowsky's new valve in. but, if a contest is more important than surgery, so be it." gwen tells her.

cristina thought for a moment before she stepped closer to gwen. "i'd be happy to watch, dr.shepherd."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"are you ready to leave?" arizona asks her later that day. "i thought we could go to joe's again."

"no, of course." gwen smiles. she put her chart away and walks behind arizona when mark called her.

"gwen." he said as he jogged up to her. "do you wanna go to your place?" he asks her smiling.

"oh, sorry. i just agreed on having drinks with arizona. but just wait there if you want." she suggest.

"no. don't be silly. go have fun." he smiles.

"ok goodnight." she says and kissed him.