fifty three

gwen stood at the nurses station writing in a chart when mark walked up to her.

"hey. i was thinking, you know, with derek and meredith getting married, we should probably thinking about the same thing." he greets her.

gwen just looked at her chart not looking up or listening to him but mark didn't notice so he continued.

"i mean, we're trying to get a baby and being married would just be appropriate, you know. it would be easier and we know each other long enough-"

"wait. sorry i gotta go to my patient." gwen says as her pager beeped. "sorry, was that important?"

"no. no. just go." mark laughs nervously as she walks away.

suddenly he heard derek chuckles behind him.

"how much of that did you hear?" mark asks his friend who is still laughing.

"the part where you asked her to marry you or the part where she shot you down? i was here for both. and, by the way, it's just way too early for you to marry gwen. you don't have to do everything i do." derek smiles amused.

"this is not about you. i have my own future to think about. life is short. look what's going on with stevens." mark sighs.

"don't worry about stevens. i got a plan."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

after her surgery gwen was in the o.r corridor still her scrub cap on.

"hey babe." mark greets her the second time. "earlier i was talking about something and you didn't listen but it's very important that you listen."

but gwen looked at the clipboard in her hands not looking up.

"gwen." he suddenly said louder making her looking at him in shock.

"what is it?" she asks him.

"earlier i was asking you to-"

"dr.shepherd." a nurse called her. "your patient is prepped and ready."

"ok. thank you. i'm coming." she nods to the nurse. "can your question wait?"

mark nods before she stormed into the scrub room. mark looked at her once again before walking away.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

it was the next day when gwen woke up in an on call room. she was here all night because she had one surgery after another.

also derek had operated on izzie's second brain tumor wich was tricky but he was successful.

mark on the other wasn't so successful in asking gwen to marry him. everytime he wants, she is somewhat prevented by work.

but not today. today will be the day he will ask her to marry him. he waited long enough.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was in the e.r treating a patient with heart pain when mark approached her.

"hey." he greets.

"hey. did you hear o'malley is joining the army?" gwen informs him.

"i knew that. i just wanted to ask you if you want to go to dinner tonight. i wanted to discuse a few important things." he asks her.

"okay?" gwen says nervous. "something happened?"

"no, no. nothing happened. it's just i wanted to ask you something." he smiles.

"really, nothing's wrong? i know i was busy the last days but... just tell me when something is wrong." gwen gets nervous.

"i promise you, it's nothing wrong. just wait till later." mark assures her before walking away.

gwen watched him before turning to the patient.

"i'm bringing you to ct now."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen stood in the o.r corridor after her shunt operation on her earlier patient.

"hey. i thought you were in surgery in the guy who got hit by a bus." gwen asks callie as she approaches her.

"i'm on my way." callie replies slightly annoyed.

"is something?" gwen asks putting her chart away.

"you heard george is going to the army right?" callie asks angry.

"yeah. i heard. so?" gwen questioned confused about the still annoyed behavior of her best friend.

"arizona said it was awesome. george, sweet, kind george, who can't even kill a fly is joining the army to go to iraq in the middle of a war and arizona said it was awesome." callie explains getting more upset.

"maybe because it is awesome?" gwen asks carefully.

"no, it's not awesome." callie protest before walking away.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"hey, why are you wearing a suit?" gwen asks her brother in the hall.

"i'm going to the city hall with meredith now." he smiles.

"oh, that's great. should i come with you? i would be a great best man. i mean, i was a great one on your last wedding." she reminds him.

"oh, no. no need. but thank you." he thanks still smiling.

gwen smiled at him for a while.

"what?" derek asks.

"dad would be proud of you. marry the girl your meant to be. i'm proud of you." gwen says making him smile more. "meredith is the right one."

"thank you, gwen."

"i love you derek." gwen confesses.

"i love you too gwenny." he kissed her on the forehead. "i have to go."

"yeah." she nods and he began to walk away. "have fun." she calls after him.