seventy one

gwen was in a good mood. in a very good mood. she couldn't stop smiling and that because of one reason. she was overdue. so she went into a supply closet and peed on a stick. this time she was sure. she waited to see the result.

then she walked smilling down the hall to search for callie.

she found her in an empty corridor.

"no way." callie gasps.

"yeah." gwen smiles.

"no freaking way!" callie beams. "oh, my god. finally!"

"i give up the thought about being pregnant but now. i am pregnant." gwen had tears in her eyes.

"congratulations! let's hug it out." callie hugs gwen who couldn't stop smiling. "my god... have you told him?"

"no, i just found out." gwen replies.

"you gotta tell him now?" callie asks.

"yeah." gwen nods. "how is the arizona and baby thing?"

"oh, fantastic. it's going great. i'm completely over it." callie says sarcastic.

"you can live with us, if you want." gwen offers.

"no, it's fine." callie shakes her head.

they began to walk down the hall.

"hey, i hope it has his looks." callie chuckles.

"me too."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen got paged to the e.r to a guy with a gws to his chest. she was in the trauma room together with owen and jackson. when a woman stormed in.

"pete! oh, my god, pete." the woman gasps as a nurse tried to get her out of the room. "please, wait... pete? pete?"

"this guy hit me." pete groans. "i stopped the car to give him my insurance card."

"stats are still dropping." gwen confirms.

"i get out and he shoots me." pete adds.

suddenly pete fainted making his monitors beep rapidly.

"pete... pete?" the woman gasps.

"chest tube. bag him." owen instructs.

"there's blood in his chest. clamp that! call the o.r, tell 'em we're on our way. get him ready for transport." gwen shouts.

"they're taking him to surgery. please, he's my husband." the woman cried as nurse tyler wants to get her out of the room.

"let her say goodbye." gwen insisted.

"gwen, there's no time." owen reminds him.

"goodbye, baby. i love you. i love you, okay?" the woman cries. "don't die, 'cause i love you."

then the patient suddenly cramps.

"oh god! what's happening." the woman gasps.

"out of here now! chest tube secure." owen shouts. "there wasn't time to waste."

"there was time. that might be the last time she sees the man she loves. there was time." gwen says.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"i can't get control of his artery." gwen says in the o.r.

"he's crashing!" owen discovers.

"i need more light and another clamp!" gwen orders.

"how's it going in here?" derek asks as he entered the o.r.

"touch and go." owen replies.

"avery, got a second?" derek asks the resident who walks over to him. "has anybody checked their pager?"

"no, too busy." jackson shoke his head.

"there's a shooter in the hospital." derek blurts making jackson's eyes widen. "i don't want you to say a word. when the patient is stable, i want you to tell hunt and gwen that nobody goes out of here until they are told so. can you handle that?"

"yes, sir." jackson nods.

"i mean it avery. if gwen gets out and gets hurt, i will hurt you. promise me, nothing happens to her." derek says looking at his little sister.

"of course, sir."

derek nods before leaving again and jackson walked back to the o.r table.

"i almost got the pulmonary artery controlled. one more second. what did derek want?" gwen asks the resident.

"nothing, just wanted to know how long we'd be. he needs the o.r." jackson lied.

"okay, get in here and suction around where dr. shepherd's working." owen instructs him.

jackson tried but his hands were trembling to much. both gwen and owen looked at him.

"shaky hands, dr.avery?" owen asks. "won't make it as a surgeon if you can't keep your hands steady."

"yes, sir." jackson nods.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

after being done with the surgery the doctors made the patient ready for transport.

"okay, he's ready for transport." gwen states.

"jackson, get him up to icu. start warming him up..."

"i can't, sir." jackson cuts owen off.

"excuse me?" owen furrowed his brows.

"we can't leave here. that's what shepherd told me. there's a shooter in the hospital." jackson explains making all of their eyes widen.

gwen immediatly put a hand on her belly thinking about mark, derek and callie.

"there's a what?" owen asks.

"shepherd said..."

"this patient is hypothermic. we need to start warming him up before he starts to circle the drain." owen explains loud.

"shepherd said-"

"you didn't bother to mention this until now?" owen asks outraged.

"shepherd said-"

"you already told me what shepherd said!" owen shouts.

gwen on the other hand just want to be with her husband, brother and best friend.

"okay, i'll take him up myself. everyone else, stay here." owen instructs.

"i'm coming." gwen blurts.

"no, you stay put." owen dismisses her.

"i'm a cardiothorathic surgeon. he has a penetrating injury to his chest. you don't get a vote this time. i'm coming. let's go." gwen tells them.

"wait, i promised your brother you would stay here." jackson informs her.

"nothing will happen to me." she assures him.