fourty four

gwen was still with the prescott's keeping an eye on jackson. melinda strokes his hair while gwen writes in a chart. jackson was unconscious and intubated since the surgery.

"dr.shepherd." alex calls her quietly as he steps into the room. "i just called unos. jackson's officialy at the top of the list for a liver and bowel."

"they can't come soon enough. his ammonia level's starting to rise." gwen informs him keeping her voice low.

"i thought the shunt was supposed to buy us 24 hours." melinda said making the doctors look at her. "isn't that what you said, that it should give us 24 hours?"

"melinda, we're doing everything we can." gwen assures her.

"i know. i know you are." melinda nods.

suddenly gwen got paged. it was meredith in the neuro wing.

when gwen opened the door she saw sheets soaked with blood.

"oh my god." gwen gasps.

"he had a seizure." meredith explaines helping mr.dunn. "i gave him lorazepam."

"you page shepherd?" gwen asks the resident.

"i paged you." meredith states.

"page shepherd." gwen instructs her.

"the patient doesn't want that." meredith explaines to her.

"he tell you that?" gwen asks with a raised brow.

"yes. don't page him." the patient grunts. "he's terribly unpleasant."

"mr.dunn is a match for your kid who needs the transplant." meredith informs her. gwen looked at her with shock. "he's a match."

gwen stood silence for a few moments. "you probably have a brain bleed, wich is why we need to get shepherd here."

"gwen, he's gonna die anyway." meredith reminds her.

"the boy who needs organs, i presume, wants to live." the patient assumes. "and me? i have organs... and i'm ready to die."

gwen looked shocked at the two.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"i know it feels wrong on so many levels i can't even count them. but there is no case in any medical book that tells you how to deal with this." meredith tells gwen outside mr.dunn's room.

"i don't need a book. i do what's best for my patient. i suggest you do the same." gwen advises her.

"i am."

"really?" gwen questioned her. "you page derek yet?"

"are you gonna page him?" meredith asks.

gwen looked her deep in the eyes. "i'm gonna do my best to keep that beautiful boy alive long enough to find him some organs. i suggest you do everything you can to keep your patient alive. because we're doctors, grey. we're not... executioners." then gwen walked away.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

gwen was in the lobby calling izzie and alex over.

"you two are on jackson all day today." gwen tells the two. "he doesn't have a liver or intestines, toxins will build up, his brain will swell. we can't stop it, we can slow it down." alex nods but izzie just looked at the floor. "stevens, i need a nod. a yawn. maybe even a little burp. something that lets me know you're capable of keeping this boy alive."