one hundred seventy four

it was early in the morning when gwen waited with mark and callie at the traffic light. gwen hated the morning traffic. why are the streets so full in the morning?

"you know what? i hate mornings." gwen comments pressing the car's horn once again. "i mean we're doctors. people die when we're not on point. we should get like a special line only for us."

"babe, relax." mark chuckles looking down at his phone. "it's not even seven in the morning."

"carpooling is supposed to save time." callie says. "you told me it would save time and help the planet." she pointed at gwen. "but now i had to stand up 2 hours earlier just to be stuck in traffic. i could've sleep longer."

"i'm sorry." gwen said honking again. then her phone went off. "webber needs one of us to walk bailey into her suprise breakfast thing this morning." gwen reads the message out loud.

the board decided to make bailey the new chief after richard. gwen thought bailey was the right one for this. nobody could do it better.

"no, thanks." mark says.

"not i." callie nods.

"i hate all of you." gwen snaps finally being able to drive on.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

as webber asked gwen stood in front of the elevators to catch bailey and guide her to the suprise breakfast. she had her hands in her pockets and a smile on her face as she saw bailey.

"chief. happy first day." gwen greets bailey who just looks down at the tablet she holds.

"thank you." she smiles.

"i need to thank you. first female ever to be chief." gwen tells her proudly.

"thanks again." bailey replies. "anything else you want to tell me, shepherd?"

"we're late for the attendings meeting." gwen tells her.

"the- attendings meeting? did no one read my e-mail?" bailey asks walking up to the conference room together with gwen following her.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

the room was full with attendings. everyone wants to celebrate the new chief. the new female chief.

callie stood next to mark talking to him about the new woman she meet. she already told gwen about it and to no suprise she was excited. but mark always has a clearer more objective opinion to that.

"i mean, i just- i just- i barely know this woman. we had like two dates last week. she asked to see me again tonight." callie tells him.

"go for it torres." mark says sipping his coffee.

"it's crazy. i can't stop thinking about her." callie chuckles. "you know when you meet someone and you get that flutter that- that rush and it feels like you know them and they know you and you think to yourself, i could stare at this person's face forever? do you know what i mean? or maybe not."

"that, callie, is exactly what i feel like looking at your best friend." mark smiles at her. "she seems like a nice woman for you."

"so, i looked it up, and bailey's the first." arizona interrupts their conversation.

"first what?" amelia asks.

"first female chief of surgery of this hospital." arizona explains. "before that, all men."

"i say it's about time." jackson says.

"and all the department chiefs are women- neuro, cardio-"

"we got trauma." mark interrupts amelia.