fourteen

it was early in the morning when gwen stood in the elevator. she had a newspaper in her hand.

it's just that she didn't read the newspaper in her hands but she looked at the chief and his new hair.

it was dark brown almost black and not his typical greyish colour.

the elevator came to a hold and derek stept in.

"morning." he greets the two. his eyes immediatly drifting to the chief's new hair. "what's different?"

"nothing." richard shrugged.

"leave him be." gwen warned from where she stands in the back of the elevator.

"what happened to your hair?" derek asked again totally ignoring his sister.

"nothing." richard repeated more forcefully.

the elavtor came again to a halt and this time it was mark and burke who stepped in.

again both of them looked directly to richard's hair.

"what happened to your hair?" burke asked him too.

gwen cleared her throat before she said "leave him be."

"he dyed it." mark state the obvious.

"but why?" derek asked. this time gwen punched him with her newspaper. "ow!"

"leave him be." she repeated the thousands time.

"ok, but why?" burke asked ignoring gwen.

"men who have gray hair are noticed less than men who don't." richard finally explained.

"by who?" derek asked making everbody look at him.

"well.." richard trailed off.

"by the ladies?" burke questioned.

suddenly mark began to laugh loud but after he received a look from gwen and richard he tried to cover his laughing with coughing.

derek stand in the corner grinning. "it looks good chief." he mocked him.

"very natural." burke agreed.

"the ladies will love it." mark said scratching his ear.

that was enough for gwen so she grapped burke and mark and pushed them at the wall so that the three men stand next to each other.

"he is alone. all alone. do any of you know what that's like? lives with cristina, dates the perfect 12 year old, man-whore!" she said pointing at the three of them. "his wife left him after 25 years of marriage. so the man wants to dye his hair for the ladies, let him dye his hair for the ladies. leave him be."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"all non-emergent surgeries have been postponed." gwen informs richard.

a ferry boat crash happened so they needed every available bed and o.r there is.

"good." richard replied.

"i'm going to check on discharges. i'm trying to free up as many beds as i can on the surgical wing." she continued.

"oh, i was gonna do that, but..."richard said.

"i can do it." gwen cut him off.

"uh... sure good." he said not really convincing.

"unless you want to." gwen offered.

"no, no go ahead." he assured her.

"you're still the chief." gwen tells him.

"i know that." webber chuckled.