Matthew 5:14-15

Mathew 5:14-16

MSG: "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand-shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

NIV: (15-16) Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Meaning: I really like this verse I think it's such a great illustration of what we are to do with our faith! The illustration is this: When you light a candle or lamp, do hind it, keep it under a box or bowl? Of course not! You put it on a stand or shelf so it can shine! It's the same with our faith. As Christians, we symbolize that lamp, on fire for Christ, serving him. But it's what we chose to do with our faith... Hide it or shine it? I'm sure a lot of you have heard the song This Little Light of Mine, but it fits perfectly with this verse!

"This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine... Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm going to let it shine... Hide it under a bush?! NO! I'm going to let it shine!"

Let you light shine for Jesus! Be on fire for him! Go all over the earth and make disciples and teach about God and what he has done for us! This is a difficult challenge. Sometimes, it can be easy to become shy and timid about sharing your faith... when someone asks you "So is there really a God?" or whatever, what do you say? Do you balk way, or stand strong in your faith? But I challenge you to embrace your faith, stand strong in it and don't let the world " blow out" your flame! At the very end of the verse it's says, "By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." By sharing your faith with others and teaching them, witnessing to them and just loving them as yourself, you are leading people closer to Christ! That's amazing! So whether it be wearing a shirt with a bible verse on it, not gonna along with the crowd by taking the Lords name in vain of whatever it may be, don't be afraid to shine a light for him! Don't cover it up! Let it shine in your school, your community, your WORLD!:)

Today I challenged you with a lot of deeper questions. I encourage you to really think about them and take action with through them as well!

God bless you all!

-Katie :)