Chapter 5

Qin Rui, carrying his laptop, followed Ye Shaoyang into the study. He grabbed a chair from the dining room and set it down next to his cousin's gaming chair, then got back in the game to send Ye Shaoyang an invite to queue up.

8:30 PM was the peak time to be in the game. In less than five seconds, they were sorted into a match. Since games below the Diamond rank didn't have a B&P—bans and picks—stage, they were only able to see who their teammates were after the match began.

Of the five players on their team, Ye Shaoyang's [Xiao Bai] was still in the Bronze rank. Qin Rui's [Xiao Rui] was Gold. The other three players—[Legendary Ge], [Your Slight Smile], and [My Heartbeat]—were all in Silver. The latter two players, judging by their IDs, were most likely a couple.

According to the ranking system, this match would be considered a Silver match.

Ye Shaoyang's account only had five heroes unlocked, so he selected the mid lane mage-type hero, ‘Frost Goddess – Xue Li'. A beautiful woman with long, wavy blond hair, dressed in snow-white mage's robes, appeared on the screen.

When Qin Rui saw his gege choose a mage, he instantly selected a support—'Forest Envoy – Ya'an'. This character was an adorable little girl with a big ponytail and a pair of pointy ears. All her skills were based around healing.

Soon afterwards, their teammate [Your Slight Smile] chose a mage as well. [My Heartbeat] chose a marksman, and [Legendary Ge] chose an assassin. Their lineup came out as one assassin, two mages, one marksman, and one support.

[Your Slight Smile]: I play mage. Xiao Bai, you switch heroes, okay?

[My Heartbeat]: Support, switch to a tankier hero. The Forest Envoy is too brittle!

[Your Slight Smile]: Listen to my boyfriend, switch to a tank. Hurry, hurry.

[Xiao Rui]: Sorry, I'm not very good at other supports.

[Xiao Bai]: Silver matches aren't that serious. Just play what you're good at.

[Your Slight Smile]: ……

[Your Slight Smile]: How exactly are we supposed to play two mages?

[Xiao Bai]: We'll manage.

[Xiao Bai]: I'll take the top lane, you can take the middle. Let's begin.

The couple saw that they couldn't negotiate with him, so they had no choice but to hit ‘ready' in a huff.

The game began.

Ye Shaoyang hadn't been wrong. Silver-ranked games weren't that serious. There was no need to stress over their team composition, and tactics didn't matter all that much. As long as there was one seasoned veteran on a team, they could destroy everyone and lead their teammates to victory.

Technically, this was Ye Shaoyang's first time really playing in a ranked Gods War match. The previous time, when he'd just stepped into this life, didn't count. His brain had been muddled at the time, and he was inexplicably assassinated over and over again. He hadn't played seriously at all.

But this time, he took it very seriously.

He'd already won a few training matches against A.I. teams while using the Frost Goddess; he was already very familiar with her.

When the game began, Ye Shaoyang crept into the woods on the top lane and started a timer in his head. He waited until the other team's fighter appeared in his field of vision, then decisively used his Q skill—which instantly shaved off 10% of his opponent's HP. That was barely a scratch for the enemy fighter, but it was extremely important to seize every opportunity to wound the opponent in these match-ups. Sometimes, this seemingly insignificant gap in HP could turn the tides of the battle at a critical moment.