45. Maeglin - Unrequited Love Part 1

Maeglin x Reader

2.2k words

                                                 *  *  *

You stood there quietly... Jealously as you watched the way Maeglin seemed to light up around Princess Idril. To you it didn't seem the Princess shared the same feelings as Maeglin, but it didn't change the fact that he was clearly very in love with her.

It broke your heart to know that he didn't even attempt to look elsewhere knowing that the two weren't destined to be together. If anything you wanted him to look in your direction, and hopefully he'd see that you two were meant to be... But he only seemed to view you as a close confident. As close as he'd allow for anyway...

Yet that was all he saw you as, or a means to gush about his love for his cousin- as you by no means judged him over it. You understood that he didn't exactly grow up around healthy relationships. In your longing stares you didn't notice how the Lady Idril saw the look you gave the Prince. And not once had she seen another elleth look at Maeglin the way that you did... If only there was a way to get him to see you the way that he saw Idril...

Just before Idril could find an excuse to dismiss herself from her cousin, a courier approached her pulling her away from the Prince who frowned at the sight of them leaving. But he perked up once more when he saw you, hurrying over to you, black robes dragging across the white marble floor. Boots scuffing softly with every step before he stopped before you, to which you were pretending to read.

"I think I am going to confess!" He grinned softly speaking to you in a soft voice, you looked up at him from your books. Gray eyes looking down at you hopefully as he waited for you to respond, you only furrowed your brows in confusion,

"Confess what Maeglin?" You asked curiously though you had an inkling of what he was speaking of. Maeglin gave you a whimsical look in return, these looks of joy he wore on his face only seemed to appear when he spoke or was around Idril...

"Confess my love, to the Lady Idril." He whispered to you in mild amusement, your heart sank at his words. Knowing very well he was going to get his heart broken, and that also meant too that you'd never be able to tell him how you felt.

"Oh... Well how are you wanting to tell her?" You asked trying hard to hide your disappointment, though Maeglin caught the slump in your shoulders and the forced enthusiasm. But he said nothing because he was joyous to be able to finally have the courage to tell her how he really felt! Whether you were truly excited for him or not.

"I do not know... Perhaps you could help me with it? If that is alright?" A soft blush beginning to rise to his pale cheeks as he looked away from you. At any other time you would've admired how cute he looked when he blushed... But not today. Today your heart ached for the hope that was quickly fleeting about your chances with Maeglin.

"Oh of course!" You managed out with more enthusiasm for him, wanting to try and celebrate this moment for him. As hard as it was, you loved him and you just wanted him to be happy. Preferably with you... But at least now you could greedily spend some more time with him... Though this time it didn't feel the same as it had before. Maeglin had perked up considerably at your enthusiasm as he smiled further at you, grateful for such a wonderful friend such as yourself.

"Then come! Let us go to our spot and we shall write there yes?" You only nodded hurrying after him with your parchment already in hand and of course with charcoal stashed away in your dress pockets. Working in the grand library did have its advantages! At least Maeglin was seeing it first hand this go around...

You both walked through the halls that became more scarce the deeper into the part of Gondolin you went. You two came to a courtyard bare of any other elves... One that the King had purposefully kept free of other elves. Hoping that the secluded place would give you and Maeglin a safe place to develop your relationship - unbeknownst to you both. Immediately you took your place on the bench fishing out the charcoal pencil and paper.