41. Maedhros - I had a nightmare

Maedhros x Reader

1.2k words

                                       * * *

You gently pushed Maedhros bedroom door open trying not to make too much racket. Though he had already heard you wake up only moments ago in your bedroom.

The way you had gasped as you roused from your slumber startled him, he only waited patiently for you to come to his room. His guilt weighed heavily upon his shoulders, in his own suffering he had been oblivious to your's and how war had hurt you.

Not in the way of healers or lovers who were on stand by... No you had not been so fortunate to only have to worry about your lover. You had not even told him what had happen to you, it had been a handmaiden that he overheard...

It hurt that you refused to speak of what happened to you... But he didn't push it as not even spoke of entirely what happened to himself. Though you knew more of what happened to Maedhros, than he knew of your ordeal. Orcs were involved and your patrol partners had been killed... That was all he knew.

Maedhros opened his ocean blue eyes staring expectantly at the cold and empty side of the bed, waiting for your beautiful self to wait patiently for his invitation... Always looking for reassurance and invitation before you did anything.

He propped himself up on his elbow pulling the covers away to invite you in, as your frail figure entered his peripheral vision.

H/C hair falling down to your waist practically hiding your thick night clothes. You quickly slid into your designated side of bed, usually there was a thank you or an I love you... But tonight was not like most nights of the mild horrors you had described to him many times before... Tonight whatever you'd seen rattled you to your very core.

Your misty eyes refused to look at him as you quickly buried yourself into him, not giving him a chance to roll onto his back. Maedhros didn't push you away, not even as your nails clumsily scratched and pinched him as you wanted to wrap your arms around him.

Hot tears met his bare chest and your body shook violently unable to stop the onslaught of grief that filled your very being and tainting your fëa. Now Maedhros was even more worried than before,

"Y/N!? What's wrong!?" He breathed out panicked by your unusual behavior, a large hand cradling the back of your head tenderly. When you didn't answer he sat up pulling you into his lap, practically prying your face off of him so he could cup your face with his remaining hand. Your pale cheeks were stained with salty trails as the flow didn't stop,

"Y/N.... Please my love..." Maedhros tried hard to hide the strain in his voice but could not stop it. Only a handful of times has he seen you cry in front of him... When he asked you if he could court you, when you all were exiled from Valinor, when Fingon brought him back from Thangorodrim, and the first time he had a nightmare...

"How do you do this Mae...? How do you deal with this...? Th-the screaming... the death... the torture... reliving it over and over again every night..." His blood ran cold at your words, that his fierce, strong and loyal companion was so hurt you feared your own dreams.

The same elleth who could easily disarm him before his handicap, force him to work hard to out maneuver your... The same elleth who fought valiantly at his side, who held no fear of meeting your own death if that meant his safety...

The strongest person he knew was now asking for his advice, openly displaying your brokenness. And for the mentions of torture to leave those sweet pink lips... By the Valar of course you had been tortured. How could he be so foolish to think that you had been those putrid beasts captive and have been spared of such atrocities?

Unlike you he had been selfish to assume you had been alright, selfish enough not to try and sneak in suggestions to help you cope... Selfish enough to not offer his shoulder to you more often. Selfish enough to be too absorbed in his own pain... He should've known better after all you'd done for him... Taking care of him was how you always ran from your problems.

Even in Valinor when things with your own family got heated for being with him did he find you in his company more...

"I'm so tired Mae... I just want to sleep..." You cried out pitifully, this time he released your face letting you nestle back into him.

"I... don't know Y/N..." He answered you truthfully, all he knew was that you were his escape from those dreams... From never ending haunting's that tortured him every night since Fingon rescued him. But did you know this...?

"You... have always been my escape from them..." Maedhros confessed gently rocking you, this gesture making your arms wrap tightly around him.

"I am here for you, my love... They will never touch you again..." His words were fierce and full of rage, if you were not in his embrace he may go out and walk into Angband to kill every single beast that may have uttered your name.

Your sobbing quieted after a long moment and he felt your palm press flat against his chest, while your fingers played with his long red hair. Maedhros placed a gentle kiss atop your head as he hummed feeling you calm down further.

Maedhros could not let this continue, this sleeping in separate rooms because you were unwed... He could care less if his brothers would talk or if his subjects would. Propriety didn't matter any longer when it came down to your care and health.

"Tomorrow..." He began in a soft and soothing voice, that rumbled through his chest.

"We will move your things in here..." Maedhros said this with finality, he expected Elwen to agree but you shot up straight to look at him with your brows furrowed.

"Maedhros! That is-"

"Improper?" He smirked lazily at where your words were about to go.

"Meleth in case you forgot sneaking into my room at odd hours in the night is improper... Especially while the Lord of Himring is... half dressed." He began to chuckle as he watched you blush a deep crimson at his words before scowling. You were trying to find somewhere to look thoroughly embarrassed only making him chuckle again. With a tender touch he grabbed your chin letting his thumb rest against your lips.

"I will not let you suffer by yourself any longer... I was too blind to see it and for that I'm sorry... I will not make the same mistake Y/N..." Moving his thumb he leaned in pressing his mouth against yours, timidly did you receive his kiss.

"Now rest... Any beast that dares to hurt you... Know that I will be there to slay them... With my barehand if I have too..." Maedhros breathed against you, you relaxed at those words as he laid on his side with you resting next to him. He wrapped his arm around you, while his handless one rested beneath your head. The heat of your body against him and the soft scent of roses was a welcomed distraction from his own self flagellation. With his own protector laying by his side would help keep his own horrid dreams at bay.

So for tonight you'd sleep in peace, and dream of your rescue and the gentle kisses of glee of your safety... A welcoming change from before...