Ch. 77 "Sed Lex Dura Lex"

I do not own the picture above! Picture - Parabatai Rune and Oath

Previously

"In the end, all you have are memories and regrets of would have, could have, should have. You never know when it's your last day," I grumbled.

Present

"You have a point," Kakashi muttered.

"So I do," I grumbled.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"No," I replied. I heard him move toward me before setting a hand on my shoulder.

"Look at me," he said softly. I slowly turned around to look at him.

"Why do you care so much?" I whispered.

"I care because I love you," he replied softly, gently pulling me to his chest.

"I love you too," I said softly, wrapping my arms around him. I felt a stinging pain on my stomach and stepped away from Kakashi. One look at him and I knew he was feeling the same kind of pain I was. I used my magic to see through my amor to my skin. A Rune changing like fire shone starkly against my skin. Kakashi had a similar mark on his stomach.

"You too?" He asked.

I nodded and asked, "Which ones are they?"

"You have the Parabatai Rune," he replied, not telling me what his was.

"Entreat me not to leave thee, or return from following after thee—for whither thou goest, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge. Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried. The Angel do so to me, and more also, if aught but death part thee and me," I recited. "How do I know that?"

"You've never heard me recite it or read it somewhere?" Kakashi asked.

"I think I read it somewhere," I replied, still uncertain as to how I knew it.

"Only humans or the giants have been able to withstand the Runes," he muttered.

"Or people that were human," I said. I stopped the flow of magic over my Parabatai Rune.

"That's right..." Kakashi whispered.

"You two lovebirds done?" Ares asked.

"Well, excuse you," I remarked.

"We're not lovebirds," Kakashi grumbled.

"Uh huh, sure," Kushina drawled.

"Besides, Parabatai aren't supposed to fall in love," I said, covering for the both of us.

"You two are cute together, kid," Gemini said.

"Sed lex dura lex," I grumbled.

"Rules are meant to be broken," Leo said. I sighed and ran my hands through my hair as something else started going through my head.

"Something's going on in that head of yours," Rhysand said.

"Children's rhyme is all," I said distractedly.

"So you know that too, hm?" Kakashi asked.

"I guess I do now," I retorted.

"It's long," Kakashi muttered.

"Indeed it is," I agreed, mulling over the words in my head.

"You know what I am," Kakashi said.

"If you mean the boy I somehow fell for, then yes, I do," I replied, walking over to the couch.

"R-Rin?" Kakashi asked.