Ch. 31 The Second Exam Explained

Previously

From how the other ninja were acting, they didn't expect many ninja to pass. Although every pair that completed the first exam by coming to the tower had to share a room. This year's Jonin would probably be a good group. I guess I wouldn't really find out until later on in the exam. This was going to be interesting to say the least.

Present

The first exam had just finished. We had been called to just outside the tower in the Forest of Death. There were still a great many candidates but quite a few less than when we started. I had expected it to be less, but I didn't think this many would pass the first exam.

We all lined up in rows next to our partner and another person. I couldn't really tell how many had pass the exam but I saw a few familiar faces. Asuma and Gai had made it to the second phase with a few minor injuries though Gai looked like he was leaning more heavily on one leg than the other.

Asuma had one hand on his shoulder. I could tell they were hurt but I knew I couldn't heal them. All healing them would do now was put a target on our backs. That was the last thing any of us needed right now, especially in our conditions. We were all weak from the last exam.

I focused my gaze toward the front of the room. Lord Fourth was standing on a raised platform. Everyone had started to quiet as we noticed Lord Fourth's presence. He had a smile on his face. I smirked. He had always been able to make a bad situation seem better. Once all the candidates had stopped talking, Lord Fourth spoke.

"This exam will be a bit different from the last. You and your partner will be competing in a doubles competition. Only half of you will make it through this stage. If you wish to drop out, please do so now," Lord Fourth said. Panicked murmuring started up almost immediately after.

I chuckled. Kakashi and I were well prepared for the upcoming fights. We had only had a week of training but we were already working perfectly together. Though, I do suppose that being on the same team would help you greatly before hand.

I smirked as the other candidates started to settle down. This was supposed to be grueling and prepare us for upcoming missions. Not many people made Jounin on their first try. Those that did became more well known around their respective village and were given higher ranking missions.

Some that didn't make Jounin were sometimes made Special Jounin. They were Jounin with one but not all aspects a Jounin would need. For example, Ibiki Morino's understanding of the human mind could make him a Jounin level interrogator.

There aren't many Special Jounin as most say they are Chuunin or don't show their skill sets often. Those that do show their skill are forced into a different division based on their skill set. They usually work but still train in their free time so they can become an official Jounin instead of just a Special Jounin.

A lot of people that wanted to become Jounin had to take the exams a few times before they were actually made Jounin. There were very few that made Jounin on their first try. It was a rarity that would be talked of for months on end when someone did make Jounin on their first try. Kakashi was one of the few that had made Jounin on their first try.

He didn't really make a bid deal about it though. He had just made Jounin when we went on the mission to destroy Kannabi Bridge and stop the war. Everyone from Team Minato gave him something.

Obito was the last to give him a gift. I felt a sting behind my eyes and took a deep breath. I couldn't let my tears fall for what had happened back then. We were all hurt but were healing. It would just take time for us to heal.

I shook my head. I had to focus my mind on the exam. I turned my attention to the Hokage and forced my thoughts of Kannabi Bridge to the back of my mind. I couldn't be thinking about that now.

"...matches will be determined at random by a the ninja behind me. If your name isn't chosen, please proceed to another room until your name is called. Once the second exam is finished, the remaining candidates will be called back here for the third exam's explanation. Until then, the best of luck to all of you. Now, the first match will begin shortly." Lord Fourth stepped back and focused his attention on the board.

The sound of rapid clicking resounded. No one dared say a word out of fear they would be chosen to fight. After a few seconds, two pairs of names appeared on the board. The first pair of names I didn't recognize but the second pair I did.

Kakashi and I were the second pair. We were fighting first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'm so sorry for not updating in so long!

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye Guys!