Ch. 57 Battle and Homeward

Previously

"I said I was never taught how to use them not that I didn't have them. Remember this well, Rhysand. Rule 3, don't believe what your told. Double check," I replied and took off toward Hyburn to buy them some time. I felt Minato, Obito, and Kakashi following me. We were all armed and ready to attack Hyburn head on.

Present

It wasn't long before I heard the thundering sound of the Illyrian warriors and their wings as well as the pounding footsteps of the warriors on the ground. I was already covered in blood from head to toe and was glad for the extra help. I tossed Crescent Rose up in the air and made rapid hand signs before blowing out a fireball.

I heard hundreds of birds chirping nearby and knew Kakashi had activated his own jutsu, Chidori. It was quite effective at close range. I saw an earth dragon spring up from my left just as another fireball was sent out by Obito who was somewhere to my right. Hyburn's soldiers stopped for a moment and the front lines were slaughtered by the Fae that had just come on the ground.

The Illyrians came in from the skies and started throwing magic to aid the Fae on the ground. I caught Crescent Rose and ran back into the fray. I tore through any Fae that were allied with Hyburn to try and create a path for the combined forces of the High Lords. I managed to cut a small hole in Hyburn's ground forces. They were bing pushed back and divided when I felt something coming at me from behind.

I looked back and knew I wouldn't be able to stop the oncoming attack from someone I assumed to be a general of Hyburn. I felt something come fourth from my back to stop the Hyburn Fae's attack. My eyes turned to saucers as I recognized the Uzumaki kekkei genkai — chakra chains. I pushed my shock to the back of my mind and slammed the handle of Crescent Rose into his chest while releasing him from the chains.

Wielding them was like second nature so I didn't even have to think of what I wanted to do with my chains before I did it. I continued to use my chains in combination with Crescent Rose and managed to create a pretty big path leading to the base of the mountain. I channeled chakra to the bottoms of my feet and took off toward the top of the mountain.

When I got far enough above the King, I jumped backwards and started to free fall toward him. As I gained speed I raised my scythe above my head and used the opening of Lucian and all the ones he brought with him. Crescent Rose tore through the King's shoulder and cut his arm off completely. I spun and used my momentum to go for his neck.

He raised his good arm in an attempted to block his head from my attack. I cut cleanly through his wrist and continued to aim for his neck. Crescent Rose went through the flesh and bone in the King's neck with little resistance. After a moment, the King's body fell down and blood started to squirt out of his neck and shoulder. It flowed freely onto the ground surround his body and stained it a dark crimson.

I fell to my knees and started to breath heavily. I could feel the power coming from the Cauldron. I set my hand on the rim and heard it whispering. I was so enthralled that I couldn't get away. The Cauldron pulled me in and wouldn't let me go. I slowly got closer so I could hear the whispers more clearly.

Come to me. I have been waiting for you, it seemed to say. I continued to get closer and closer until I could see inside it. It looked like a bottomless bit of darkness and I recoiled. I felt someone grab the collar of my shirt and pull me back. I landed on my back with a heavy thud and breathed out a sigh of relief. I don't think I would've been able to get out of that alone.

"Rin?" Kakashi asked.

"I killed him," I whispered, the weight of killing the King finally crashing into me.