Ch. 26 Planning for Prank War and Memories

I do not own the song above.

Previously

"You should know you can't out prank a kid, Tiger," I said simply.

"I suppose. I guess we'll see, hm?" Tiger asked.

"I suppose we will," I replied.

Present

I had to start preparing for my little Prank War with Tiger. I had received his file from the Captain. Tiger was your average ANBU member. He excelled at genjutsu but was weak at taijutsu. His ninjutsu was average. It seemed unlikely he would want to be a medic based on his file but there may be something I didn't know that drove him to be a medic.

I sighed. If he wanted to tell me then he would. But until then, I'd just have to assume there was a reason. Everyone had a different reason for joining ANBU or becoming a medic. I became a medic because I couldn't save my parents. They had died because of me.

They weren't protecting me, though. They were fighting over me. They had fought a lot back then. I guess that was just the one that pushed my father over the edge and forced him to do what he did. I still didn't know why he did what he did, and I'm not sure I'll ever know. Even if I don't know now, I hope I'll find out why they were fighting that night.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. I couldn't be thinking about the past right now. I had to focas on the future and be sure I was strong enough for the Jonin exams. I couldn't fail the exams now. I had to make my parents proud. I had to have faith in myself that I could come out on top if I wanted to have any chance of passing the upcoming exams.

I'd give it my all to make sure I'd come out on top. I'm competitive when it comes to exams and competitions. I hated losing in general though. Losing showed weakness and showing weakness means getting yourself killed in the ninja world. I didn't want to lose anyone else because I was weak.

I sighed. I couldn't be thinking about the Jonin exams right now. It was all ready getting late but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. I shun-shinned to the top of the Hokage Mountain. A light breeze blew my hair. It was nice to be able to see the village as peaceful as it was. I can't remember the last time I had seen it like this.

I heard someone take a step next to me. I turned and saw Tiger. I would've thought he had already gone to sleep. I didn't expect to see him up here of all places. Maybe somewhere in the base sure but not on top of the Hokage Mountain looking out at the village at night.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," He replied.

"Didn't expect to see you here, Tiger," I said.

"I could say the same to you, pipsqueak," Tiger responded.

"I'm not that short. And besides, I'm still a kid, ya know," I told him.

"Yeah, I know. I don't think I've met someone as young as you in the ANBU, though," Tiger said.

"I wouldn't have expected you to. From what I've gathered, only people that are in there late teens or early twenties join the ANBU. I'm still only fourteen. I honestly didn't expect to make ANBU. Jonin, maybe but that was it," I said.

"Yeah. I thought I'd be a Jonin until the day I died. One day, I just kinda decided I wanted something more, you know?" Tiger said.

"Yeah. I guess we were just given our abilities for a reason. I don't know the reason. I don't think I ever will and that's okay. It just means that there are things we're meant to know, and things we aren't," I said.