Ch. 95 Completing the Mission Pt. 1

Previously

"Yeah. I think we could all use it," Kakashi agreed.

Present

I woke up early the next morning. The early morning sun had just started to drift through the windows. I started rummaging through the cupboards to see if there was anything useful for breakfast. Luckily, there was. There were a few boxes of pancake mix in the cupboard, eggs and ham in the fridge, and a few potatoes were on the counter.

I washed and cut all the vegetables and set a pan on the stove. I turned on the flame and put a bit of butter in the pan to melt before putting the eggs into it. I started making the pancake batter as the eggs cooked. I set the eggs aside and started making the pancakes. I cut up the potatoes as I was making the pancakes. It didn't take long to use up all of the batter I had made and set the pancakes aside on another plate.

Finally, I put the potatoes in the pan. When the potatoes finished cooking, I turned off the burner and moved the pan onto a different one to help keep them from overcooking. I heard three pairs of shuffling feet behind me and turned around to see Kakashi, Asuma, and Kurenai had woken up.

"Good morning, you three," I greeted.

"Food," Kakashi said, sluggishly walking toward the kitchen.

"There is breakfast if you're hungry," I said.

"How long have you been up?" Kurenai asked.

"I'm not really sure. Not that long, I think," I answered.

"How much longer are we here for the mission?" Asuma questioned.

"Two more days, total. We can go home on the third," I answered.

"So the ball is tomorrow night?" Kurenai asked.

"Correct. The mission was meant to begin weeks ago but, as you all know, we didn't get any notification until extremely recently. Rumors have likely already spread like wildfire, so please be careful if and when you are going out alone," I said.

"Of course, Rin-chan," Kurenai said.

"There is still much that is uncertain," I muttered, walking over to look out of the windows. I heaved a heavy sigh. It was bugging me how little we actually knew was certain about the mission. The Raikage hadn't given any more information as to what we were supposed to be doing either. It was frustrating to say the least.

Kit, Kurama said.

What is it, Kurama? I questioned.

Someone is approaching, he answered. I could sense them on the other side of the door. Whoever it was, definitely wasn't human. A loud bang rang out. After a moment, another sounded. I went to answer the door, a hand on one of the blades at my waist. I opened the door just enough to see who was on the other side. I couldn't help but stand frozen in my place.

"Are you going to stand there gawking all day or will you invite me in?" Tamlin asked. I opened the door enough to step out and punch him in the stomach. He doubled over in pain and I dragged him in. I let him go and softly closed the door before turning to glare at him.

"Why are you here?" I hissed. Tamlin didn't look great. I knew he wouldn't come unannounced without good reason but it was still dangerous for him to be away from his Court.

"The human that runs this village requested that I come," Tamlin answered. He sat down on the couch in the sitting area. He looked tired.

"How long has it been since you had a decent amount of sleep?" I asked.