Ch. 63 Rules

Previously

I sighed. It felt like there was a crushing weight on my shoulders that just wouldn't go away. I saw the room begin to spin as my vision started to tunnel. I could barely breath. I barely registered my body hitting the floor before blacking out completely.

Present

I shot up and frantically looked around. I saw a silhouette standing off to the side, just out of reach of the light coming through an adjacent window. As they stepped forward, I couldn't stop from going rigid.

"You believe I am here to kill you, correct?" Ares asked.

"Why wouldn't you? I'm supposed to kill you within the next year just so I can get my damned freedom," I replied.

"You will not be killing me in my entirety, kid," he said.

"Huh? I thought any time a human kills a god, the god dies and the human turns into a god," I said, confused.

"Yes, mundanes turn into gods, but not all gods die when you kill them," he said.

"That's even more confusing," I said.

"There are twelve of us total, each with a varying amount of power and influence. One in the Fae, the others here with the gods," he said.

"The Zodiac?" I asked.

"Correct. Leo was the only one able to get away from all of this," he said, nodding to the window and what lay beyond.

"Which Court?" I asked.

"The Morrigan's," he replied.

"Rhysand..." I whispered.

"So that's the High Lord now, hm?" Ares asked.

"You know what a High Lord is?" I asked.

"I do. Though, it seems you do not believe me," He said.

"Rule 3," I said.

"What is this rule you speak of?" He asked.

"Never believe what you're told. Double check," I replied.

"Do you have more of these rules?" Ares asked.

"About fifty of 'em. Why?" I asked.

"I would like to learn them. Are they written down anywhere?" He asked.

"Nope," I replied.

"I do not se—" He started.

"If you really want to learn them, it's become my job is to teach them to you. If you can't remember them, too bad," I growled.

"Very well. Forgive me," He said.

"Rule 6, never say you're sorry. It's a sign of weakness," I said.

"Why do you view it as a sign of weakness?" Ares asked.

"Rule 8," I replied.

"Hm?" He hummed.

"Never take anything for granted," I said.

"You will lose them if you do, won't you?" He asked.

"Yeah. It happens more often than you think," I replied.

"I know very well how often it happens. I am, after all, the God of War," He said.

"Cool. Ya got a title. If memory serves me right, there's a library somewhere around here. Care to show me it?" I asked.

"If that is your wish," he said. I nodded and followed Ares out of the room. I reached to my weapons pouch to grab a kunai knife but didn't feel it on my hip.