Ch. 30 Fighting Asuma and Gai

Previously

"We have an extra set and since you don't have one, I figured I might as well give you a chance to make it to the next round. Leaf ninja have to stick together, ya know." I replied. A small smile found it's way to Asuma's lips.

"I suppose so. All right. We accept your offer," Asuma said.

Present

We each got into a fighting stance and readied ourselves to fight our friends. I quickly glanced over Asuma and Gai. They hadn't really changed since the last time I saw them. They were thinner and it looked as if each had gained more muscle but those were the only changes I could detect with my eyes.

I softly growled and quickly put the two scrolls back into my weapons pouch. I doubted any of the other three would make the first move so I charged at Asuma. I moved to kick Asuma but Gai stepped in between us and caught my leg. I smirked.

I had figured Gai would step in to stop me seeing as his abilities in Taijutsu are unsurpassed by any of the others in the exams thus far. Kakashi successfully trapped Gai in a Headhunter Jutsu. I quickly jumped back and charged at Asuma again.

As I ran toward him, I pulled my fist back in preparation to punch Asuma. He dodged my punch and tried to deliver one of his own. I barely managed to move out of the way of Asuma's fist. Asuma ran at me with a kunai in his hand. I pulled out one of my own.

Before long, the sound of metal against metal filled the air. We fought relentlessly. I knew I had to buy Kakashi time to set up the trap for Asuma, but I didn't think it would take him this long. I quickly spun around on my heel in an attempt to kick Asuma.

He jumped back avoiding my kick. I took the time of Asuma's momentary distraction to run at him and cut him across his chest with my kunai. Asuma tried to dodge, but wasn't fast enough. I managed to cause his shirt to rip in the front. A thin line of blood to come fourth from a shallow cut that ran from his left hip to the opposite shoulder.

I growled. I had barely managed to give him a wound. I moved to charge again but heard a low whistle and jumped up and back to a nearby tree. I angled myself slightly so my back wouldn't hit the tree. I channeled chakra to the bottoms of my feet so I would stick to the trunk.

As soon as my feet touched the tree trunk, a barrage of kunai from every direction at various heights went toward Asuma. He jumped up to avoid them but wasn't fast enough. A few kunai skimmed his shoulders, legs, and face leaving small cuts behind.

I could see the glint of wires attached to the kunai at certain angles. Asuma saw them to and landed on top of a few of the wires. He quickly looked around. His eyes landed on me after a short while. Big mistake, bud. I quickly made the hand signs for a fireball jutsu. I sent a medium sized fireball slightly to the side of Asuma.

He jumped out of the way of my fireball but had failed to notice how big of a mistake he had just made. I had seen a few paper bombs attached to the kunai at one end of the field. Kakashi and I had discussed using paper bombs as a part of the exams beforehand as well as jutsu.

I had learned the fireball jutsu in the short time I had spent with Obito and Zetsu before coming back to the Leaf. It was the only thing I had been able to learn in the little time I had with them. It requires a lot of chakra to do. I had only had enough time to build up my reserves to complete the fireball jutsu once in a battle.

It was enough though. The paper bombs had gone off when Asuma was a few feet from them. He was flung away from us like a bug. I smirked. Kakashi and I were actually a pretty good team. I jumped from the tree I was on to the ground. I walked over to Gai and pulled him out of the ground.

I pulled the extra set of scrolls from my weapons pouch. I held them out to him. Gai's eyes widened in shock and he looked at me, unsure if he should take the scrolls or not. I smiled at him and chuckled. Gai seemed to relax at this and took the scrolls from me.

He jumped off into the trees to find Asuma and take him to the tower. I waved Kakashi over. We started running toward the tower ourselves. It was only another couple of miles from where we had fought Asuma and Gai. We entered the building and saw we were the first ones there.

A medic ninja came toward us and led us to one of the upper floors of the tower. Kakashi and I were separated and were quickly checked over. It didn't take more than an hour for us to be cleared of any major injuries and allowed to retire to the room provided to us.

From how the other ninja were acting, they didn't expect many ninja to pass. Although every pair that completed the first exam by coming to the tower had to share a room. This year's Jonin would probably be a good group. I guess I wouldn't really find out until later on in the exam. This was going to be interesting to say the least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Just as a heads up, the next chapter will probably be set at the end of the first exam.

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye guys!