Ch. 21 The Hokage's Office

Memorial stone. I do not own the picture above.

Previously

I let the clones disperse before starting to walk off. I felt a hand on my arm and stopped. I turned around to see Kakashi standing behind me with a hand on my arm. He lowered his hand. I smiled and poked his forehead with my forefinger and middle finger. His eye widened at the contact.

Present

I heard a hawk's call and looked up. I lowered my hand and sighed. I shun-shinned to the Hokage's office and kneeled before his desk. He smirked. I heard gasps from the other people in the room. I sighed at their antics.

"Lord Hokage. I saw your summons," I said.

"Good. Have you made contact with him?" Lord Fourth asked. He was talking about my mission.

"I have. He is closed off and barely acknowledged my existence when contact was first made. The situation improved to a small amount of physical contact. That is all I was able to accomplish, Lord Hokage," I said.

"It's more than anyone else. I'm surprised. Good work," He said.

"Thank you, sir," I said.

"I would also like you to apply to the upcoming Jonin exams. He will be there as well," Lord Fourth said.

"I will do as you ask and join the Jonin exams, Lord Fourth," I said.

"Good. Dismissed," He said. I shun-shinned back to the ANBU base and sighed. I guess I was joining the Jonin exams to look after Kakashi. We would probably get paired up seeing as I was apparently the only one that managed to get physical contact with Kakashi, however minimal, since the war ended.

"Hey, kid. You're joining the Jonin exams under Lord Fourth's orders?" The Captain questioned.

"Yeah. I have a name you know," I said.

"Oh really? Mind telling me, then?" He asked.

"Rin. Now if you will, please stop calling me 'kid' Captain," I said. He chuckled.

"You're the youngest ANBU member we have here, kid," The Captain said. I sighed. Guess I was going to be 'kid' to him for awhile yet.

"You heard I was entering the Jonin exams under Lord Fourth's orders so soon, hm?" I asked, changing the subject.

"He said he gave you a special mission and had to go to through the Jonin exams as part of that mission. He said the rest was classified so he couldn't really go into detail with me," the Captain said.

"He's not wrong. I trust his judgement of keeping things under wraps. It's likely better that way. The less people that know, the less likely I'll be compromised in my mission," I said.

"You don't really care for anything other than the mission, do you, Rin?" he asked. I sighed.

"You're not exactly in a place to say that since you don't know me. I've been around a long enough to know that sometimes, you have to leave people behind to survive," I said.

"Tch. Where'd someone as young as you learn something like that?" The Captain asked.

"I learned that in the war," I said bitterly. I turned and left. I quickly made my way back to the room I was given earlier that day. I sighed when I reached the door. I quickly went back the way I had come but went to the left the ANBU compound. I went to the training grounds just outside of the Village.

I looked around the training ground and didn't see anyone. I nodded to myself and started practicing my jutsu. After about two hours, my chakra reserves were down and I barely had the energy to stand. I fell to my knees and heard a hawk's call. I looked up and saw the Hokage's bird. I sighed and pushed my self to my feet. As quickly as I could, I made my way to the Hokage's office.

While I was going to the Hokage's office, the Captain had seen me and had matched my step. Neither of us said a word to the other while we were on our way. I sighed and looked over at the Captain. He seemed tense. He was probably wondering what had happened to me before I became a part of the ANBU. I turned my attention back in front of me.

"Captain," I said.

"Hm?" He asked.

"You seem tense. Why?" I asked bluntly.

"You really want to know the truth?" He asked.

"Please, tell me. I am a medic so I may be able to help," I replied.

"Well, I guess there's no harm in telling you. What you said earlier... it made me wonder just what happened to someone so young for them to think like that. I don't really know much about the people in the ANBU, but if I could know them, I would. I want to help this village and the people in it," He said. I smirked.

"Ninja or not, we're part of the same village. How much power you have shouldn't matter yet it does. People fear what protects them. I want to change that," I said.

"You're a good kid, Rin," The Captain said. I smiled. It was the first time he had called me by my name. It wasn't long after that we reached the Hokage's office. I sighed. It was the second time in a matter of a few hours that I had been called over to his office. It didn't make much sense but I'm sure I'd find out why I was here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I do not own the picture used in this chapter. Also! The next chapter will show why Rin was called to the Hokage's office for a second time that day.

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye guys!