Ch. 29 The Start of the First Exam Pt. 2

Previously

Smart. I think. It's better if we don't know who has which scroll so it's harder on us to become Jonin. The less information we had, the harder it would be to complete this test. Lord Fourth also said we had three days to complete this test. I smirked.

Present

Like most missions, this was time sensitive. The time limit added to the pressure and upped the chance of people failing. There were likely to be people that felt more pressure because of the time limit. It was a good tactic to use to reduce the number of candidates that would be in the next exam.

I took a quick glance around and saw the other candidates were starting to get nervous because of the new found information. I also took a quick look at Kakashi and saw he had already taken a paper.

I knew he would read it over and give me a quick summery of what it was. I had a good feeling that it was a consent form because the war had just ended and no one would get blamed if everyone that was currently participating signed the form.

I doubted many people would get killed but it was always a possibility, especially with tensions between the Hidden Villages so high. It was a smart decision to make. No one wanted another war to start so quickly after the last war finished.

We were all weary of each other. No one quite trusted the other but knew they had to work together if they had any chance of winning. I sighed and walked over to Kakashi. He had already read through the form and had signed his name at the bottom of it.

He gave me a quick summery of what was in it. I nodded my head when Kakashi finished speaking and quickly signed the paper when he handed it to me. It was a consent form that we had to sign to participate in the upcoming exams. I figured a few teams would drop out and take the exams in the future.

I looked around again once I had signed the consent form. People were starting to get antsy. Everyone wanted the exams to start so we could get it over with. I smirked. As it seemed now, this was going to be easy. I looked back at Kakashi and nodded to him. He nodded back.

We walked closer to the front and saw people had started turning in their consent forms. We followed suit and received a heaven scroll. I slid it into the weapons pouch on my hip before we stepped out or the small structure. We were asked to go to one of the gates surrounding the Forty Fourth Training Ground.

Kakashi and I nodded in understanding before heading toward the twenty seventh gate. Once we got there, we sat down and waited for Lord Fourth to start the exams. It took about an hour for everyone else to find a gate and for Lord Fourth to say the exam had started.

We both stood up and stepped into the Forest of Death. It didn't take long for a scream to pierce the air. From where we were, Kakashi and I could see birds flutter up into the air because of the scream. They were probably caught in a Genjutsu or had been killed.

It was likely the former of the two. There were bound to be a few people that had an affinity for Genjutsu. Kakashi and I both had an affinity for ninjutsu followed by Taijutsu for each of us. I was better at Genjutsu but Kakashi wasn't far behind me in that aspect.

I closed my eyes and made a hand sign so I could sense where the closest team was. There were three that were about the same distance ahead of us. I opened my eyes and lowered my hands. I nodded to Kakashi and jumped into the trees. He quickly followed suit.

It took us a few minutes to find the first team. We quickly knocked them out and looked for their scroll. They had a heaven scroll like we did. I huffed in disappointment but put it in my weapons pouch anyway. The second team was about a mile to our left. The third team was close to the second.

We took off toward them. When we found the second team, the third team I had sensed earlier was there as well. It seemed that the third team had surprised the second and was looking for their scroll. Kakashi and I went the third team's blind spot and quickly jumped from the tree line and knocked them out.

Both teams had earth scrolls. I smirked. We hurriedly made our way through the trees to the center of the Forest of Death so we could finish this test. Before long, the trees began to thin out and I heard leaves rustling near us. I quickly jumped down from the tree tops and heard Kakashi do the same.

We hid ourselves as best we could in the sparse woodland and waited for someone to come out of the trees. After a moment, someone did. My eyes widened a fraction. It was Asuma. About a minute later, Gai landed next to Asuma. I didn't want to fight them.

I quickly glanced at Kakashi before looking back at Asuma and Gai. I could tell from the look in his eye that Kakashi didn't want to fight Asuma and Gai either. Sadly, we both knew we would have to fight them at some point. I saw Gai look in the direction Kakashi and I were hiding in. I instinctively pressed myself closer to the tree.

Luckily, Gai looked away from us and turned to Asuma. They were speaking in low voices so I could quite catch what they said. I heard Kakashi move to the tree line. Gai looked over at where I was again. He was suspicious of what or who had made the noise and slowly pulled out a kunai. He started shuffling towards me.

I saw a flash of silver and Asuma had been tackled to the floor. I ran from where I was hidden and tackled Gai. Before long, Kakashi and I had Gai and Asuma pinned down. They growled at us and we growled back. It didn't take long for Asuma to figure out there wasn't anything they could do to get out of this and sighed.

"What is it the two of you want?" I hissed.

"We came here looking for the two scrolls. Ours were taken," Asuma said. I smirked and got off Gai. I gave Kakashi a look and he did the same.

"Why are you letting us go?" Asuma said. I pulled a heaven and earth scroll out of my weapons pouch and showed them to Asuma and Gai.

"If you want them, beat us in a spar," I said.

"How youthful!" Gai yelled. I sweat dropped at his choice of words. It was always youth this, youth that with him.

"Why would you wager your scrolls in a spar?" Asuma questioned.

"We have an extra set and since you don't have one, I figured I might as well give you a chance to make it to the next round. Leaf ninja have to stick together, ya know." I replied. A small smile found it's way to Asuma's lips.

"I suppose so. All right. We accept your offer," Asuma said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The first exam is underway! Asuma and Gai will fight Rin and Kakashi in the next chapter.

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye guys!