Ch. 37 Prison

I do not own the song above. Song - LeeandLie cover - Call Your Heroes Medley

NOTE: ~*~*~ = time skip

Previously

"Figured you would say that at some point," I said and pulled up my mask. Lord Fourth Flashed out of the room as the Captain stood up. I turned toward the door and made my way out of his office with the Captain a few steps behind me.

Present

We were at the ANBU's prison in a few minutes. It was underground and even more hidden than the actual ANBU itself. Only a few of the higher ups knew it even existed as a part of the ANBU. Most criminals or those accused of crimes went to Konoha's prison instead of the ANBU's so more people knew about it. I took a deep breath just as the metal door of my cell slammed shut.

I walked over to a dark corner and curled into a ball. My eyes stung with unshed tears, tears I couldn't let fall but fell anyway. I set my head on my knees and silently let the tears fall, not knowing when they would stop. I guess everything that had happened since the war came rushing up behind me and knocked me down when I least expected it.

I didn't know how long I had been crying. Maybe hours or just a few minutes. Either way, it was draining. Slowly, my eyes drifted close as sleep overtook me.

~*~*~

I slowly opened my eyes and groaned. I started to stretch my stiff muscles and slowly managed to get up. I stumbled around my cell for a few moments while my eyes adjusted to the gloom and my mind cleared from its groggy state. I stopped a few feet from the metal bars that kept me entrapped in the cell and away from any kind of freedom.

My eyes widened a fraction when I saw my silver haired teammate standing on the other side of the bars, Lord Fourth off to the side of him. He looked at me with what I could only assume was sadness. I lowered my gaze to the floor. I didn't think he would be here so soon after my detainment but here he was. I just hoped Lord Fourth hadn't told him who I was. I really doubted it would be very good for him to know I was alive.

After a few moments of heavy silence, I heard feet shuffling. I looked up and saw Lord Fourth standing right in front of the metal bars, one hand extended with a slip of paper. I quickly went over to him and took the paper. I read it over a few times. Relief flooded my body as what was written on the paper finally registered in my head.

"I didn't tell him" was the only thing written on the paper. I closed my eyes and tilted my head back. My shoulders sagged in relief as my hand dropped to my side with the paper still held firmly between my fingers. Kakashi didn't know. I was still as safe as I could be for now. I opened my eyes and nodded my thanks to Lord Fourth. He simply turned on his heel and went to stand off to the side. He became partly covered in dense shadows when he leaned against the opposite wall.

"Why?" Kakashi asked.

"Why what?" I asked in response.

"Why are you in here?" He specified.

"As you could probably guess, I'm not exactly the most trustworthy person here. It was right of Lord Fourth to put me in here. If I'm not in the village, I'm not able to cause any harm. It's logical, boy," I replied.

"How can you be so cruel to yourself?" He growled.

"Cruel to myself? I'm trying to get out of this damned place, Hatake. If that means I have to have someone dig through my memories to prove I'm not a danger to the village, then so be it. If I am found to be a danger, then I'll accept the punishment given to me," I growled back.

"You wouldn't fight to prove your point?" My head snapped to Lord Fourth's shadowed figure.

"If I'm condemned to die, I really don't see the point in fighting. I'd end up dying anyways, right?" I replied bitterly. I felt a gust of wind from behind me. I pulled out a kunai as I jumped toward the metal bars of the cage I was in. I held the kunai in front of me in a defensive position.

"You really wouldn't fight, hm?" Lord Fourth asked. My eyes widened in shock as I lowered the kunai in my hand.

"I guess reflexes never get dulled, even after months of not being on the battlefield," I said quietly.

"Only those close to me have my mark on them, Rin. Tell me, who are you?" He asked, even though he already knew. I took a step back, my eyes narrowing to slits. I didn't say a word.

"Say something," Kakashi demanded.

"I'm sorry, Lord Fourth, but I'm a dead girl walking. That's why I have your mark. We were close in the past, yes. Now, we are no more than strangers. I don't think that is going to change any time soon," I said after a few moments of tense silence.

"What do you mean by 'a dead girl walking' Rin?" He asked.

"I got killed during the war. By some lucky fluke, I'm standing here alive. I don't know how or why but I'm here. That's all I remember," I replied, lying about my memory loss. I looked at the ground and hugged my arms to my chest. I felt so, so small. "I... I have my name on the KIA Stone. I'm not considered alive to anyone in this village. If I was, I honestly doubt many would miss me."

I heard a bang from Kakashi hitting the bars in between him and I with the palm of his hand. My head snapped up so I could look at him. Tears started forming in my eyes and I hugged my arms even closer to my chest. I took a step back from him, fear overriding my body. My breathing started to get uneven as my tears fell. I felt shaky on my feet. Kakashi's eyes widened at my sudden change in attitude.

"Rin... I—" Kakashi tried but I shook my head cutting him off.

"Don't say you're sorry. I've heard that too many times and regretted every time I forgave the monster that apologized," I said quickly. Tears were falling down my face in steady rivulets as the memories of my torturous childhood flashed through my head.

"M-monster?" Lord Fourth stuttered.

"H-he's long gone now. Hasn't been around since my sixth birthday. Neither has my mother. He killed her then himself," I said quietly but quickly, my breathing becoming more and more irregular as time went on.

"Rin... who are you talking about?" Lord Fourth asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I do not own the song in this chapter or any of the other media in any other chapter!

I'll be going into Rin's past more in the next chapter. I'm saying this now, but it's messed her up big time. I'll be putting another warning at the beginning of the next chapter but what happens within the next chapter and possible next few chapters is going to be vital to the rest of the story.

With that being said, I'm sorry for anything that's offensive in any way to anyone in the next part of this book. If something is offensive to you or is inaccurate please comment or message me directly.

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye guys!