Ch. 22 The After Effects of the Opening First Gate

I do not own the song above. Imagine Dragons - Thunder (Lyrics) Enjoy the chapter!

Previously

"You're a good kid, Rin," The Captain said. I smiled. It was the first time he had called me by my name. It wasn't long after that we reached the Hokage's office. I sighed. It was the second time in a matter of a few hours that I had been called over to his office. It didn't make much sense but I'm sure I'd find out why I was here.

Present

The Captain and I made it to Lord Fourth's office. We entered and kneeled in front of his desk. I sighed. The after affects of using the First Gate should take effect very, very soon. I'm surprised my body has withstood as much stress as it had without collapsing before now.

I really hope my body doesn't give out before I know what Lord Fourth will ask of us. I don't want to be taken off the mission of Kakashi. I didn't want to lose my connection to him during that mission, and I don't want to lose it now. This mission might be my only chance to actually speak to him while still being a part of the village.

"Lord Hokage," I said. I could feel my muscles start to weaken. I was in trouble if I didn't get healed soon, especially with the Jonin exams coming up.

"So you're both here, hm?" Lord Fourth asked.

"Yes, sir," the Captain responded. Lord Fourth had his eyes trained on me. It was as if he could tell something was wrong. Lord Third came in and drew Lord Fourth's attention to himself. I still felt as if there was someone watching me, I just wasn't sure who.

"What is it that's bothering you, child?" Lord Third asked. I stiffened but sighed in defeat.

"Just the after effects of opening the First Gate, Lord Third," I replied.

"Report to the Konoha Hospital. Immediately!" Lord Fourth ordered. I nodded and used some of the little chakra I had left to shun-shin to the Konoha Hospital. Lord Fourth was there calling for a nurse. I slowly stood up and staggered over to where Lord Fourth stood. He grabbed onto my shoulders to keep me steady. I saw nurses run over.

I slowly blinked. It had become hard to keep my eyes open. I guess the after effects of opening the First Gate were taking me into unconsciousness quicker than I thought they would. The nurses had me lay on a stretcher. I hadn't realized they had one before.

Slowly, my vision began to darken. I used the last of my energy to turn my head and look over at Lord Fourth. I was still close enough to see worry cloud his eyes. I smiled as darkness slowly consumed my vision. He barely knew me yet he was still worried about me. Thank you, Sensei. I thought as I lost consciousness.

Time Skip

My eyes snapped open. I quickly looked around. I saw my ANBU mask on a small bedside table next to me and picked it up. I sat up and pulled it back on. I looked around the room again then down at my hands. No one was here and I was still in my ANBU uniform.

I would've thought I would be in a hospital gown right now but the hospital is probably backed up. This would sometimes happen every now and again during the war when I was helping here. I would always get praised for how quickly I healed someone and managed to get them released from the hospital.

It was rare for the hospital to be this backed up during peace time. I sighed. I guess I would get answers from Sensei or Lady Tsunade if she was available. As far as I knew, she was still the head of the hospital. That might've changed since the war but I hadn't heard anything.

I looked up and the door to my room slid open. It was Lady Tsunade. She looked at me in shock for a few moments before sighing and coming into the room. She picked up the clipboard at the end of my bed and quickly looked over it. She sighed and put the clipboard back in it's place.

She came over to me and put a hand on the top of my head before starting to check me over. It didn't take her longer than a few minutes. She removed her hand from the top of my hand and crossed her arms. Crap, I think. I was getting yelled at.

"You've been in a coma for three days. There were severe muscle tears throughout your body from using the First Gate. You are aware that I'd advise you not to join the Jonin exams?" Lady Tsunade asked.

"Yes, ma'am. How severe is the damage to my body?" I asked.

"Very. I'm surprised you're able to move at all. You must have a pretty high pain tolerance to be able to move in your condition," Lady Tsunade replied. I chuckled.

"I suppose," I said. Lady Tsunade smirked at my answer. I made a hand sign and put a hand to my chest. I closed my eyes to concentrate on healing my body. It took me about one to two hours to even be able to say the damage wasn't as extensive. I had begun to sweat and forced myself to stop before I passed out from chakra loss. In that time, Lady Tsunade had left the room and Lords Third and Fourth came in.

"Child, what made you use such a dangerous technique against Minato?" Lord Third asked.

"I wanted to prove my worth to Lord Fourth. I didn't want to be seen as some useless little kid, Lord Third. I wanted to be seen as strong. I didn't want to have that fight be another thing I couldn't do right. I wanted to be able to show that I could help someone, even if it costs me greatly," I replied, my hands clutching the bedsheet until my knuckles turned white. I sighed and let go of it.

"Why... Why would you need to prove something like that? You're a strong kunoichi. Anyone that sees you can tell," Lord Fourth said.

"No. Not everyone. Back in my old life, I was the weakling, the one always being saved. I couldn't do anything except heal. I want to change that. I can't be the reason people die. That's already happened to me once, I don't want it to happen again. I won't let it. I don't care how much I have to train — how strong I have to get. I'll protect this village and the people in it so no one has to lose someone they care about," I said. Determination flooded through me.

"You're a strong willed girl. You're already stronger than you realize, you know," Lord Fourth said.

"I may be strong, but I'm not strong enough. But you know what, Lord Fourth?" I asked.

"Hm?" He asked.

"It's the lightning then the thunder, right?" I asked.

"Yes, it is," Lord Fourth replied.

"I guess it's time to show people what it means to be the lightning before the thunder," I said, determination filling my voice. Lord Third and Lord Fourth both smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Lady Tsunade and Lord Third are here! They will be in the story more as time goes on.

I had finals this week. So... that was okay I guess. Also! It's almost Christmas! I will be uploading a chapter on Christmas Day along with my regular upload on Sundays.

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter!