Ch. 68 Parents

Previously

"Why let me live?" He asked.

Present

"What does it matter?" I asked.

"You saw it didnt you?" He asked.

"Your worst memory? Yeah. I'm guessing you know of my past already so I'm not even going to bother explaining. What happened to you centuries ago happened to me within the last year," I muttered.

"Kid..." Ares whispered.

"Go get yourself cleaned up, will ya?" I asked, stumbling toward the door.

"You could've had your freedom. Why didn't you take it?" Ares asked.

"What's the point of having your freedom when you have nothing to live for?" I asked and slipped out the door.

I didn't know where I was going. I had just started walking and didn't stop. No one stopped me or try to ask anything. They just left me alone. It was almost as if they knew I didn't want to be around anyone for a while yet.

"You look like crap," The Bone Carver remarked.

"He's right, ya know," Stryga said.

"Enough. She didn't even register she was here," Koschei grumbled.

"How long?" I whispered.

"You've just barely arrived," Koschei said. I took a few steps toward him and collapsed. I looked at my hands and saw them shaking.

"Take it easy for a while," Stryga ordered softly.

"I don't think I can," I whispered. I looked up when the metallic tang of magic hit my nose.

"It's been a while since I've used this form but it seems fitting," Koschei muttered, coming out of the darkness.

"So you can look human," I muttered.

"We all can," he said, coming closer with each passing second.

"What's the point?" I asked.

"No one expects you to be perfect yet they demand perfection from you," he muttered.

"Word travels fast," I said.

"So it does. Now tell me, why not leave here with even more power than you realize?" Koschei asked.

"No one remembers the people that have fallen," I replied.

"She's right, brother," Stryga said.

"I know," Koschei whispered. I sighed and set a hand on my forehead.

"What's the point of being trapped if you aren't important to anyone?" I asked.

"They want to change the old ways and believe you are able to make those changes reality," The Bone Carver said.

"They really think a human girl can change thousands?" I asked.

"We all do, kid," Leo said.

"When did you get here?" I asked.

"I never left," he replied.

"Then you know what happened," I said.

"I do. You are stronger than you realize, kid," he said.

"You're a fool if you think I can do anything the way I am," I muttered and pushed myself to my feet.

"What do you mean?" Leo asked.

"Can you get me in contact with a Greater Demon?" I asked.

"Which one?" Leo asked.

"Asmodeus," I replied.