Ch. 38 The Past Reveled In A Nightmare

I do not own the song above. Song - Safe and Sound - Taylor Swift - Sam Tsui Cover

WARNING: This chapter contains material that may be sensitive to certain viewers. CONTAINS: abuse, both physical and verbal IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ PLEASE SKIP TO THE END OF THIS CHAPTER! There is a summery of this chapter in the AN at the end of the chapter. This chapter involves information that plays into the rest of the story. I sincerely apologize to anyone that is offended by what is in this chapter or any other.

Previously

"Rin... who are you talking about?" Lord Fourth asked.

Present

"M-my f-fa-father," I stuttered so quietly, I doubted either had heard me. Tears flowed even more freely from my eyes than before. I turned away from Kakashi and toward Lord Fourth. I shakily took a few steps toward him before my legs collapsed under me. I lowered my head so neither could see my face. I could feel their eyes burrowing holes into my body.

Every now and again I heard a drip of water as one of my tears hit the cement floor of the cell. I lowered my head until chest was on my knees. I put my hands on the back of my neck, forcing myself closer to the ground. I couldn't control my breathing or stop my tears. I squeezed my eyes shut in an attempt to stop the memories from flashing through my mind.

"Rin..." I shot up a moment after Lord Fourth spoke. My eyes widened dramatically as I started at him. My hands lowered but were still off the ground. I could feel my body start shaking, tears still flowing freely from my eyes. My breathing became even more erratic. I was panicking. I clutched my fabric of my shirt right above my heart and lowered my eyes to Lord Fourth's feet.

"S-sen... sei..." I whispered, just loud enough for him to hear me. He was next to me in an instant. I managed to calm down slightly knowing that he was there.

"Kakashi, get a medic!" He ordered.

"On it!" Kakashi replied before running down the hall.

"Th-thank y-you," I whispered, my voice shaky. I could tell Lord Fourth's gaze had softened. He slowly pulled me to his chest and wrapped his arms around me.

"Is there anything I can do to help, Rin?" He asked.

"I d-don't t-think s-so," I replied after a few minutes.

"You really are stronger than you realize, Rin," He said.

"W-what do y-you mean?" I asked.

"Well, you survived something not even I could. I don't think most of the shinobi in the village, Hokage or not, could've done what you have. You've excelled even after everything that's happened in the last few months," he explained.

"I-I've been forced t-to stay st-strong for s-so l-long. I guess I j-just got used t-to being s-someone I'm n-not," I said. My voice had started becoming less shaky the longer we talked.

"What do you mean 'forced,' Rin?" Lord Fourth asked.

"I-I always a-acted like everything was f-fine a-and it r-really wasn't," I replied. "I didn't want a-anyone to w-worry."

"I think I understand that. You don't want the people close to you to worry so you put on a smile so convincing no one knows its fake," Lord Fourth said.

"Mm. I've b-been doing it f-for s-so long t-that I g-got used to hiding my f-feelings," I said.

"Everyone has their secrets, Rin," Lord Fourth said.

"I guess s-so," I replied. We fell into a comfortable silence for a while. I could feel my eyes getting heavier as my body longed for sleep. What had just conspired had emotionally and physically drained me. I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand in an attempt to force myself into a state of wakefulness.