Ch. 48 The Start of Something Special

Previously

"Rin..." I heard Minato say softly.

"I had a bad day," I said simply and turned to face him. He quickly walked up and wrapped me in a much needed hug. I hugged back and felt my tears start flowing freely.

Present

We stayed like that for a long while. I pulled back and wiped my eyes with the back of my hand. I hated people seeing me cry but I felt safe around Minato. I can't really explain why but I did. I sighed and looked up at him.

"I'm sorry, Rin," he said softly.

"You heard already, hm?" I asked, my voice hoarse from crying for so long. Minato nodded. I sensed Kushina's chakra barreling towards us.

"MINANTO!" Kushina yelled.

"K-Kushina?!" Minato asked quickly, scared of his wife.

"Where have you been? You said you'd be home in time for dinner! And where's Rin?" She asked.

"H-Hi?" I asked, stepping out from behind Minato. Kushina took one look at me and calmed down almost instantly.

"What happened?" Kushina asked.

"I'll tell you if you let sensei live," I said, hoping she'd take my offer. Kushina huffed in anger at the mention of Minato.

"Fine. Now, what happened?" Kushina asked again.

"Well, for starters, three of the ANBU I cut from the medical program wanted my head on a silver platter and decided it'd be a great idea to agree to the challenge I came up with and called me a bitch in front of Minato, nearly getting themselves killed a few times, I lost another ANBU while trying to teach Shizune a few basic skills, and no one really seems to care that people are dying for stupid mistakes in the medical field of the ANBU. Oh! Can't forget Kakashi probably hates my guts for the stunt my dear buddy pulled at the Jounin exams so there's that. I also got thrown in prison for it and broke down in front of him but the past is the past and there's nothing I can really do about it now. Speaking of, have either of you seen Kakashi?" I asked.

"You threw her in prison?" Kushina deadpanned. I sensed him coming before I saw a flash of silver go through the air.

"Speak of the devil," I whispered.

"You want something?" Kakashi asked coldly.

"Boy. Figured you'd end up hating me eventually, although I didn't think it'd be this soon," I replied.

"Hate you? That's overstating things a bit, don't you think?" He asked.

"Oh, really? Forgive me for thinking such after all the shit that's been going on," I replied coldly. His visible eye widened at the change in tone.

"Spar with me," he demanded.

"Not gonna happen. See you around," I replied and started walking away. I stopped when I felt a hand on my arm. I didn't need to turn around to know it was Kakashi.

"Why?" He asked.

"Rule 36," I replied.

"If it seems like someone is out to get you, they probably are, right?" Kakashi asked.

"That's rule 40. Rule 36 is if you feel like you're being played, you probably are," I replied and moved my arm to get out of his grasp.

"How would you know that?" He asked.

"Take a guess, pretty boy. You aren't the only one that knew her," I said in reply. I heard him growl.

"Pretty boy?" He asked icily.

"You have half the village wanting to get together with you," I replied.

"That's you're motivation?" He asked.

"You really hadn't noticed before?" I remarked, not really answering his question.

"You really like to say whatever you want, don't you?" He asked in response.

"You really want me to sit still and look pretty?" I responded immediately. It wasn't the first time someone had said that to me. I heard him sigh deeply before walking around me so I was forced to look at him.

"You've had time to think about that response, haven't you?" He asked.

"Does it really matter?" I questioned bitterly.

"Yeah," he replied.

"I have," I said.

"Why?" He asked.

"A simple question with a not so simple answer. I know you won't leave me alone until you hear it so the short version is my father told me to sit still and look pretty instead of become a ninja. Never told me why either. The villagers also treated me differently after a certain... incident occurred," I replied.

"Incident?" Kakashi asked. I heaved a sigh, knowing he'd just keep prying until he knew what happened.

"Murder suicide on my sixth birthday," I said simply. I saw his eye soften slightly when I told him.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Thanks, but I've heard that enough times to have it lose it's meaning," I said dully and cast my eyes downward. I froze when I saw one of his hands had burn marks on it. I grabbed it before he could pull away. They weren't bad but they were there and I finally noticed he had the faint scent of cooking on him.

"How'd you notice those?" He asked.

"I've had the same burns enough times to know you've been cooking. Mind if I lend you a hand?" I asked, happiness slowly coming back to my voice.

"You can cook?" He asked critically.

"You can't?" I asked in response. He let out a low chuckle and shook his head.

"Not to save my life," he admitted.

"Well, you're in luck. I know cooking like the back of my hand. Now, all we need is a kitchen and decent ingredients. You have the former but I'm not so sure about the latter part of what I just said," I remarked with a knowing look. Kakashi sighed in defeat.

"You got me," he muttered. I laughed and started dragging him by the arm to the market place. There should still be a few shops open but not for much longer. I let go of Kakashi and quickly started running toward the village. At the speed I was going I was never going to make it in time to grab the things we needed. I pulled up both of my sleeves and started fiddling with the weights I had on my arms. (AN: Rin started wearing leg and arm weights during the month she was training with Madara and Obito)

After I got both off, I used a kunai to stick them to the trunk of a tree. I could go get them in the morning. I kept picking up speed as I neared the village and managed to get to the market place just as the last shops were closing for the night and grabbed the basic necessities for miso with eggplant. It was really easy to prepare and a good thing for him to know how to make.

"Finally... caught up... to you..." Kakashi panted.

"You really ran all the way over here to get me?" I asked, thoroughly confused.

"You just... took off," he responded, not really answering my question.

"I was going to come back to get you, ya know," I said.

"Come on," Kakashi commanded.

"Where we going?" I asked, slowly following after him.

"My apartment," he replied.

"Okaaay," I drawled. It didn't take us long to make it to Kakashi's apartment and have all the groceries on the counter. I heard Kakashi sigh next to me.

"Where do we start?" He asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! They will be cooking the miso with eggplant in the next chapter before we get back into the Jounin exams.

Anw... I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye guys!