Ch. 112 Maple

Previously

Funny how things really do tend to wind up that way, wouldn't you agree?

Present

Time to settle the score and put this all under the rug once and for all. Just what happened between Lucifer and Kami and why were they so beaten up? I know, I know it's not really my business but I am worried about Luci. Time to go check around the city to find him. I need to make sure he's doing okay.

I know it probably seems a little dumb, but I am worried about him. He is a part of my family now after all. And family never gets left behind. I know he wouldn't go to the smithing section and he could go for a day or two without sleep and be fine so he wouldn't be in any of the inns right now. Knowing him, Lucifer was probably in the market section. If he wasn't there then he would be in the artist section.

Time to start in the artist section of the city. It really did look like a rainbow from a distance. It would be really easy for me to get lost in here shopping for new paints and charcoal and pencils and such. It would be amazing to be able to finally be able to get good art supplies instead of the same stuff we had back in the academy. Granted we barely had any time for anything outside of training to be pawns in another unnecessary war old men thought up, but what little time we did have gave me immense joy.

Working with clay or wood was always the best I thought. It's what got me into making the boat in the first place actually. Through this, I was able to ease my mind when I was lucky enough to focus and take time to make something. The city and shopping that was up here would have a lot of good art supplies too which would be good for future.

I walked through one after another cobblestone street as I navigated through the marketplace. It was eerily quiet with no one walking through the streets. I found that it was peaceful with no one here as well. Granted, this did also put me on edge being the only one out here. Nothing good ever came from being completely alone.

The sweep of a broom drew my attention to the side of the road. The sound was coming from the same place a low light was coming out from—one small stand on the street corner. I sniffed. It was a hotteok stall with what felt like a singular person in it. I could see they were the one sweeping as well incidentally. They didn't halt in their movements as they seemingly closing up the small shop.

"Market's closed for the night, you know," a sultry voice rumbled from the hotteok stall. "If you want something else to do, the Red Light District is still further up ahead. You'll start to see the lights if you go a few streets to your left."

"Not here for that, sweetheart. The smell coming off this place caught my attention is all. Got any hotteok left I can buy or you finished up for the night?" I poked my head in to view the figure cleaning the place up. It looked bigger on the inside compared to what was shown on the street.

"I'll make you a deal—try a new recipe I'm thinking of putting on the menu and give me your honest opinion on it and we'll call it even. Fair?" The figure in front of me leaned on the broom, a hopeful smile on their face. They were wearing a white long sleeve button up, black pants, and black work boots as well as having their shoulder length plum hair pulled back in a half up and half down style that looked gorgeous on them.

"You've got yourself a deal. What's your name, love?" They straightened up and picked the broom up off the floor. A quick sweep of their hand took the broom back to a storage and a dustpan sweeping up the minuscule amount of dirt on the floor.

"Maple—they/them," they called as they sauntered away toward what I had to assume was the kitchen settled in the back.

"Rin, she/her," I called back, following Maple deeper into the store. I would be the first to admit that it was a lot bigger on the inside when compared to the street view I had gotten before. There were square mahogany tables and chairs lined up in neat rows all across the store. I had to admit that it was quite cute and rather quaint. I would have to make a point of coming back here again in future.

Maple pulled out a few stainless steel bowls from the fridge as well as a plastic black and white tablespoon. One bowl smelled like the standard sweet syrup filling while the other smelled like the dough. The familiar clicking of a grill springing to life drew me to step closer to the kitchen as the soft tapping of shoes on wood pulled my attention back to the door.

"We need to talk, urchin," Kami snapped.

"Pass." I hopped up and sat on a table, proceeding to cross on leg over the other as I leaned back on my palms.

"You are aware that she could very well have you killed for not obeying, yes?" Maple called.

"I am. Thought that would be counterintuitive considering how things stand at the moment. After all, she isn't stupid enough to risk angering the Hatakes."

"Funny how little you seem to believe that." Maple gently bumped my shoulder with the back of her hand. I took the paper cup from her and took a small bite of the hotteok. It was sweet.

"Not hard to have doubts when her kind have largely been the cause of me nearly dying in recent times. Though I do find it unlikely any would mourn the loss of a monster like me, I am not inclined to die just yet. This is good, by the way." I took another bite as the shock from the other two permeated the air around us.

"The urchin does have a point, you know. The only ones she's had show any kindness are the ones that have barely ever spent time in the Silver City," Lucifer grumbled as he limped in. He kept his weight on his metal leg when he stopped.

"Who else have you been in contact with besides my twin?" Kami demanded in a strained tone. I lowered the food in my hands so it rested between my legs.

"Zachariah. He's part of why I disappeared from Midgard for a year. Can't lie and say that I'm particularly fond of remembering what happened but it will never be something I will ever be able to forget. I do not know you well enough to trust you with any of what happened to me while under Zachariah's control, so please, Kami, do not ask me to breathe a word of it into existence, okay?"

"Okay." She pulled on the sleeves of her long sleeve grey shirt.

"How are you, pup?" Luci asked.

"Fine," I replied immediately. I rubbed my eyes. I was exhausted to my bones even with the power boost I got from my powers awakening.

"Okay. You just seem like you're overdue for a good night's sleep is all, little one. Make sure you get at least a few hours, hm?"

"Will you?"

"I will surely try." I nodded. It was enough that he would try. He doesn't lie so I knew he would. Sleep didn't come easy to either us, but after all that has happened, it was surely understandable yes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

As the school year starts to start back up again I hope all goes well for everyone! I would also like to wish everyone that celebrates it a happy Labor Day.

A/W I hope you have a good day/night and I'll see you in the next one! Bye everyone!