Ch. 38 The Past Reveled In A Nightmare

Start from the beginning

"Tired?" Lord Fourth asked.

"Yeah... I didn't think I would be this tired and not be able to sleep," I replied.

"You have trouble falling asleep?" Lord Fourth asked, stunned.

"Yes, sir. Ever since I was little I've had... nightmares? They really only went away when a friend of my father's sang on the rooftop at night," I said sleepily.

"I never would've thought you heard that," He whispered.

"Hm? What do you mean?" I asked.

"Every now and again, before you're parents deaths, I would sing on the rooftops in the village for whatever reason at the time. It was rare I would though so I didn't think you heard nor remembered even if you did," he replied.

"That was you? You should sing more often, sensei," I said. He chuckled at the thought. I smiled slightly at the memory of the mystery singer of my childhood that by chance was my sensei. I heard him humming softly and my eyes widened a fraction as I realized what he was doing. I recognized the tune from when I was a child. It was the last song I remember him ever singing. I don't know if it was because he stopped singing in the village or if it was some other reason.

Either way, I was happy he was willing to sing so I could fall asleep. It was a comfort really, a luxury I wouldn't always have. I closed my eyes at the thought and took a deep breath in. Lord Fourth gently put a hand on the top of my head. I smiled softly as he started singing. I found myself drifting off to sleep as he continued singing. (AN: Minato is singing the song at the top of the chapter!)

**Dream**

I opened my eyes and slowly blinked. I was in the house of my childhood. I immediately had a bad feeling about what was going to happen to me when I realized I was back in my childhood house. I didn't know exactly what age I was, but I could guess considering most of my nightmares were on either my fifth or sixth birthdays, sometimes both.

"Rin! Get your lazy ass down here this instant!" My mother screamed from downstairs. My eyes widened in fear. It was my fifth birthday and the day I got my first large scale scar.

"Coming, mother!" I called back and quickly went down the stairs and to the dining room. I fell to my knees and placed my head just above my hands on the cold floor. "I sincerely apoligize for my tardiness, mother. It won't happen again."

"You'll make sure it won't or there'll be sever consequences waiting for you. Is that understood?" My mother spat.

"Yes, mother. I'm sorry," I replied.

"Tsk. Get up. You still have some work to do. Just please, don't make any preparations for meals today. Alright, Rin?" She asked, her tone of voice softening.

"Yes, mother," I replied and timidly raised my head to see if she was still there. I sighed in relief and slowly stood up before dusting off my knees. I ran back up to my room and quickly changed into pants and a loose shirt before tying my hair up into a low ponytail to keep it out of my face as I did my daily chores. I hurriedly made my way back downstairs and started cleaning.

It took me a few hours to finish cleaning the entire house. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and sighed. I put all the cleaning supplies back into their proper places before heading to the sink to do the dishes left for me by my parents. I quickly started getting everything together to clean the dishes in the sink. I had to hurry if I wanted to finish them before my mother came home from the market.

It took me about a half hour to clean all the dishes and put them away. I heard the door open as soon as I closed the last cabinet after putting every dish away. I hurried to greet mother at the door.