58.

After the funeral, we all gathered at Miss C's house for the repast, enjoying our food, when Derek stood up to make an announcement

"Look, I honestly think we need to take all this hurt that's amongst us and do the right thing. And that's taking it to the streets – going to the police and protestin'."

"Oh, so you wanna give the police a reason to do even more damage." Pastor Harris chimed in.

"Since when do we need to give 'em a reason? You turn on the news right now, all you see is black people being killed."

"I'm with you Derek. Then they wanna say, "an unfortunate mistake at a routine traffic stop"." Miss Bruce added.

I stood up supporting my man, "I'm with Derek. You know how this story goes, Pastor. A cop gets a smack on the wrist and it's over."

"If we stay quiet, they'll think it's ok with us." Simone added. "And it's not ok."

"Of course it's not." Miss C said.

"Right! We need to be going down to the police station and demand an indictment. You know what Dr. King said: "A riot is the language of the unheard." I replied.

"We're not rioting. Period." Pastor Harris said.

I walked closer to him, "And we ain't gon' just pray, either." Derek argued.

"This ain't what you want."

I looked at him with a bit of disbelief, but didn't respond.

***

"Bruce, have you seen Derek anywhere?"

"I think he went outside."

"Ok, I'll be right back. Can you take her?" I asked handing my sleeping baby over.

"Yeah, give me lil' light bright."

I rolled my eyes laughing, "She's starting to get some color!" I playfully yelled exiting the house through the back, as I walked down the stairs, I could see Derek spray painting a sign – we made eye contact.

"There you are."

"Yo yo!" Derek responded.

"I know, meeting at 7:30." I said as I walked up the stairs that led to Miss Ruby's patio.

"Alex, I know you don't wanna do this, but ima ask anyway."

"What's up?"

"How 'bout you sing at the rally?"

"Sing? No, I'm not going that."

"Why not?"

"Because...it's about Danielle, not us." I said folding my arms.

"Your group should sing."

"Oh, me, Star and Simone are a group now?" I asked softly laughing.

"Protest songs are a tradition. Odetta sang at the March on Washington."

"We're not Odetta. Especially not Star, with the way she's been acting, I don't trust her. I don't trust her to take it seriously, all right?"

"Alex, what you mean? We just got back to Atlanta, what has she done to make you not trust her?"

"I don't know, I've been talking to Simone for a few weeks now and Star is off the rails with this Hunter guy."

"Well, I think you're wrong. Star is out of her mind, but she's down. But I'm not talking about Star, I'm talking about you. Come on, baby, just sing. Keep it 100."

I couldn't help but smile at him, it's always hard to tell Derek no.

"You wanna move the people?" He kissed me.

"Fine, I'll do it. I'll get with Simone and write something special."

"That's what I'm talking about baby. Come on."

We held hands as we walked back to Miss C's house.

"Babe, Can you believe Gladys Knight is her aunt?"

"Right? And why you ain't tell me that you knew Gladys knight?"

I chuckled, "Because I didn't think it was important."

"Yeah, yeah, let's get Destiny and head home."

***

I found myself awake in the middle of the night, trying to write a song for our performance. Suddenly, Destiny woke up crying because of Miss Ruby's loud music. Derek, being Derek, remained completely unfazed.

I got up to try to get her back to sleep. "Baby?" He still laid there snoring. "Derek!!" I yelled this time while jabbing him with my elbow.

"Huh?" He groggily responded.

"Derek, get up. Miss Ruby has that damn music blasting. She woke the baby up and I'm trying to write a song."

Rubbing his face, he sluggishly sat up, walking into the living room to tell her to turn it down.

"I'm sorry, Alexandra!" Miss Ruby's voice echoed.

I would've responded, but I was too busy trying to get Destiny back to sleep.

Derek walked back in the room and got back in the bed, "Happy?"

"No, I'm not. Derek we need our own place. Between the loud music, drinking cigarette and weed smoke – it's too much."

"Ok baby, we'll talk about it when the sun comes up."

"Derek, if you don't do something about this shit, I'm taking my baby and we're moving back to Miss C's house."

"Babe, ok, I'm trying to sleep. I gotta work in a few hours."

I put Destiny back in her crib and  got back in the bed.  "Get on damn nerves." I grumbled, sliding under the covers.

"Yeah, yeah, get that ass over here." Derek said pulling me into him, going back to sleep.

"Babe, I promise we'll get our own place soon. I love you."

Without saying a word, I dozed off.

———————————————
🦋COMMENT + VOTE🦋
———————————————