3.

"Nice to meet you, Derek." Star said shaking his hand.

I didn't say anything I just eyed him as he talked. He was the finest man that I ever saw. Our eyes locked as he kept talking about his activism. I picked up my iced tea and sipped on it as I watched him walk away.

"Aleeeeex

"Aleeeeex. Earth to Aleeeeex." Star said waving her hand in my face. I fanned her out of the way.

"Star, move!" Miss C must've observed my body language because she changed the subject.

"Why are y'all down here?"

"Simone and I wanna sing and Alex just came with us for the enjoyment."

"For the enjoyment huh?" I flipped my hair.

"What foster care did you come out of?"

"I never went to foster care, I just like to travel, for the enjoyment, just like Star said. And for your information, I'm here because I want to be an interior designer and I'm looking for a good school out here."

"I'll help you find a program,  but you gotta stay focused. Don't let anything get in your way."

For some reason I knew she was referring to Derek.

"You don't have to worry about me."

"Hm, Star, Simone, what's this singing mess you talking about?"

"Mama was a singer and I'm determined to be better."

"I know your mother was a singer, we were a duo and even had a song hit the charts."

We were all in shock, but in a good way and started asking questions all at once.

"You know, Alexandra can sing and write music, but she doesn't wanna be part of this and I don't know why."

I immediately got defensive. "Star, look, that wasn't your business to tell and I have my reasons."

I stood up to walk away,  but Miss C stopped me.

"Alex, sit your little fresh ass down." With a disagreeable attitude, I sat my ass down.

"Look, if y'all gonna stay with me y'all are gonna have to work."

"Work?" I asked clearly peeved.

"Yes, work. Let's get outta here."

8:30p @ God's Blessings Hair Salon

Here's my wax room, y'all can take the floor or the bed. Get some rest because y'all gotta be up bright and early for work."

I was curious about what kind of work because I'll be damned if I clean a toilet.

"Uhhh Miss C? What kind of work are we doing?"

"My shampoo girl got pregnant again and quit. Have a good night."