26.3: Out of the Closet

AUGUST

"I didn't know you brought a friend of yours home?!" The older man wearing this fancy royal blue suit mouthed when I brought myself into the picture basically referring to my sudden appearance. He seemed quite startled to see me emerge from the stairs. Just as the man was startled, I was stunned as well the moment that I heard him speak. The tone of his voice sounded professional and commanding at the very same time and it reminded me of the school's headmistress.

"Oh, yeah." Ambrose trailed and it was pretty obvious in his tone of voice that he was faltering as he turned his head to look at me. "His name's August. He's one of my teammates." He introduced me and while he said my correct name, I was confused when he said I was one of his teammates.

I know he used to play basketball and used to be the captain of the team but this exchange made me think his father doesn't know he was kicked out of the team.

"August, this is my dad, Greg." Ambrose went on.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Haylock." I huffed out almost fidgety. I was trembling out of nervousness but I tried my best to keep my cool.

"Greg, you can just call me Greg. Mr. Haylock sounds so formal and we are not inside my office or something." Ambrose's dad suggested or I'd rather say, commanded and he was even laughing at the thought that I called him Mr. Haylock.

Mr. Haylock seemed the politest and the most respectful way to call him at the first meeting and that was just out of total respect. I don't know the man personally and I thought, because he was wearing this fancy suit and his tone of voice sounded professional, that I would call him with that.

"You seemed like you had fun last night." Mr. Haylock added, he was looking at the mess that we left at the table and couch. We definitely forgot to clean all this mess up because I remembered Ambrose carried me upstairs last night.

"I...I'm sorry dad." Ambrose was quick to apologize and I'm going to reckon he just realized the mess. "I took one bottle of your whiskey and yeah, we partied here last night." Ambrose admitted and the look on his father's face doesn't appear like he's okay with it. I'm already getting a feeling that we're in trouble.

"Just the two of you?" Mr. Haylock asked and his tone was gritting with such suspicion and his eyes swiftly ran from me and towards Ambrose. The nervousness that I was feeling just became more intense that I can already feel my heart racing.

"Uhm, yeah." Ambrose nodded and I can see he was slowly turning red. He must've been feeling anxious about this and he shouldn't be. If someone's going crazy in this building, it should be me. "Just the two of us." He added.

Mr. Haylock went silent for a fleeting moment and was just looking at the mess that we left on the table right in front of the couch. He moved his head around and looked at his son with an extremely serious face and for a second, I thought something intense was going to happen. I thought something was going to explode but then it suddenly changed into a smile.

"Okay." The old man spat seemingly brushing his suspicion off his shoulder and then just walked past Ambrose and then stopped right in front of me.

I was instantly frozen and I had to force a fraudulent smile as Mr. Haylock stared at me with his scrutinizing eyes. The closeness that he got towards me made me observe his facial features in a snap and he doesn't really look anything like Ambrose. He was smiling at me but it was nothing amusing.

"You don't mind helping my son carry the groceries, don't you?" He asked.

"I'll be more than happy to help him." I spat still frozen in my place.

"Okay, good." Mr. Haylock smiled and then tapped my shoulder before eventually trudging his way going towards the stairs.

By the time he was climbing the steps, I leaped my way towards Ambrose and released a deep exhale warranting the relief. That was something unexpected.