CHAPTER 12.3: Signs of a Thunderstorm

AMBROSE

I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a thunderstorm right now. The strong gushing winds and the heavy downpour of joy, sadness, confusion and rage were all burning at a strong signal number five inside of me. I'm not sure if I can handle all of this but I will. I have to.

The water trickled down on my body washing all the soap and dirt away. I stayed inside the shower for about five minutes taking this moment of solitude to calm myself. I just had to have a moment to prepare myself for what's going to happen. I know I'm going to sit down in front of my dad and his new woman at the dining table. I don't want to make things awkward even though that's inevitable.

By the time I emerged out of the shower my dad knocked on my door and he's probably going to prep me for something that might come my way. That's my initial thought. Perhaps he's here to command me to not talk about my mother or any of the stuff that might put a bad taste in Betty's mouth.

"Ambrose?" I heard his voice behind the door as I was wrapping my lower half with a towel.

"What is it?" I replied eventually opening the door to let him in.

"Can we have a short talk?" My dad uttered as he entered my room. He sounded very differently that I don't recognize him anymore.

"About what?"

"No actually, this isn't a short talk." My dad revealed taking back his initial statement. I suddenly had a feeling that this is going to be the first serious conversation that we are going to have in how many years.

"Sure," I spat. I didn't want to look at him in the eye while he was talking to me. Perhaps I'm afraid to see something that I won't like.

"I want to talk about your mom." My dad trailed and I was right.

"What about it?" I inquired going in with the flow of conversation. I ended up opening my closet just to avoid having a face to face with him.

"I'm sure you already know that we're not in a good term." My dad said stating all the obvious facts. "I'm planning on filing a divorce."

My dad's words and voice sounded so much like an ear sore caused by nails on chalkboard. I wanted to react violently but I felt weak on the inside. I wanted to yell at him and even punch him in the face but I had lost all strength. My dad doesn't sound as controlling like I used to know him but there's no denying the underlying fact that I'm the powerless human being here. My hands and feet were chained tight enough that I couldn't move a single muscle.

"When?" I had so much in mind but all I asked was when.

What a stupid submissive reply. I'm aware of the fact that my voice is irrelevant. My dad's just letting me know about his plans and he's not actually talking to me to hear my opinion about it.

"I don't know when but my decisions are final." My dad replied. "I'm letting her go."

"Does mom know about this?" I asked. I finally grabbed a shirt and slowly slipped on it.

"No, she doesn't know about all of this. She knows that I came home but she doesn't know about Betty."

"Okay,"

"Your mom's a total emotional shipwreck and I don't think our relationship is working anymore." My dad continued. He's correct about that but he was the one who made her become the emotional shipwreck that she is now. I wanted to put the all the blame on him but I don't think that's a good idea at all. He's still putting food in my table, he's still paying for my tuition, he still owned this house and that's more important to me rather than exploding like a volcano. "I'm telling you this because I figured that you deserve to know what's going on." My dad added.