17.5: The High and the Wasted

AMBROSE

"Whatever, I don't want to talk about them right now. I'm a having a blast tonight. This was probably the best night that I ever had." August shook his head probably trying to shrug all of the negative energy to a distant land. He was just letting me know that we shouldn't talk about Rachel and Phil. "For now, let's just have another toast." He gave me an inviting smile as he raised his already empty glass.

"Oh you're out of whiskey." I spat eventually grabbing the bottle of whiskey and pouring some on his glass. There's still some ice left on his glass so there's no need for a refill.

"Cheers!" August said once I finished pouring.

"Cheers!" I replied putting all my attention to him and we both drank in unison.

I know there's a lot of things going on inside August's mind. He just caught Rachel cheating on him and he must be feeling some type of rage and perhaps confusion for all I know. I don't quite see it from him, except that he's trying to act successfully unbothered, but I'm sure it's hidden somewhere deep inside that drunk mask. If I was in his shoes and I saw Phil kissing Rachel, I would've went berserk. The volcano would've erupted right away as it spat lavas that would burn everything in his path. I know what I'm capable of once anger engulfs me, losing control is one of many things, and even if Phil's my best friend I wouldn't think twice at beating the shit out of him.

"Ambrose," August muttered pulling my attention towards him.

"Ahuh?"

"I just want to know why I haven't seen you that much for the past month." August said essentially poking the unspoken matter out of me.

"I..." I was trying to think of a way to say it better. "I was just jealous." I ended up confessing my true intentions of avoiding him for the past month. It's true that I'm jealous but I also felt pissed and hopeless nevertheless. Maybe I'm still having some sort of precautions that all I have to say to August was that I'm jealous. I decided to keep the feeling of anger and disappointment all to myself.

"Of who? Me or Rachel?" August was definitely curious. I know that purely because of the fact that Rachel's the last person that I had some sort of feelings for.

"Uhm...I'm jealous of you both." I spat almost in a shy disposition.

"Wait." August took a quick sip before eventually speaking. "Let me get this straight. Since when did you find me attractive?" August asked sounding more natural. I think he's already getting comfortable around me and that's a giant step towards this thing that we have.

"I don't know; I guess ever since the time I kissed you?" I huffed. "I liked the kiss although that was my first time. I was confused for some time after that, and then we both went swimming to my secret spot at the river and things have started to become clear to me."

"And why did you wait until now just to tell me that you like me?" August followed up right after digesting what I've just told him.

"I'm just scared. I've never liked a dude before." I replied.

Never in a million years that I would've thought I would develop some sort of feelings to the same gender before. From the moment that I developed my memories, I just know that I'm a boy and I should like a girl. That seemed to be the default.

"Yeah, it's really scary out there." August let out a heavy sigh and I can see behind his eyes that he's about to go on a short trip towards over thinking land.

"Hey," I tried to pull August back to reality.

I held his hands as he turned his head to face me. We stared at each other for a long moment and it seemed like time has gone to a slow motion. I can see the sides of my eyes were going hazy and that's certainly because I'm drunk. Despite of that, I can still see August's face as he stared back at me. I moved his bangs to the side so I could get a better view of his eyes. It was just a typical brown eyes but to me, it's very striking.

I started to feel my heart pumping even faster. I moved my face near him and our lips ended up locking. I know my breath smelled like whiskey but I'm kissing August for the second time around and that's what matters. I held the back of his head with such tenderness. I sucked his lips with such eagerness like I've been missing it for the past month. I started letting my tongue slither inside his mouth and he accepted the incoming visitor without holding back. My tongue searched for his and by the time I found it, the sword fight had begun. Our tongue fought like the bravest warriors at a colosseum. The kiss became more intense than I would've imagined. I began removing my suit and so did August.

"Why are you glowing?" I asked cutting off the kiss.

I blinked my eyes for about four times just to feel if this was all real. It seemed all real but my head was like on spinning wheel. I'm looking at August and his skin was glowing in purple.

"What?" August seemed to be confused.

"I said your skin is glowing purple." I said stating my what I'm currently seeing and he looked at his skin.

"Oh shit," August yelled letting me know that he's also seeing the same thing. "Woah, was this because of the whiskey?"

"I don't know."

"It looks like the television is dancing." August uttered following it up with a manic burst of laughter.

"No it's not." I replied the moment I turned my sight on the television and it was not dancing but it was definitely blinking in and out.

"Fuck. I feel like my head is floating." August trailed as he grabbed his head.

"Me too."

I tried closing my eyes hoping that it would calm all my nerves. I'm feeling extra elated and this was exceptionally different from the feeling of being drunk. The mushrooms might have begun to kick in. I don't know why it's way too late but it's here and I'm feeling my nerves, bones and muscles become too light. I'm feeling lightheaded and I had to take a moment. It does feel good and pleasurable.

"Look, I'm floating in the air." I stood up and I felt like my feet are a few inches above the ground.

"Could this be the mushroom?" August asked, he was leaning against the backrest of the couch with his head facing the ceiling.

"I think so," I replied.