CHAPTER 12.2: Signs of a Thunderstorm

AMBROSE

Walking out of the cafeteria and releasing all of my anger at this innocent tree was the only answer that I know to bring back my cool. I thought of skipping the rest of the day and just go swimming at the river to drown all of this rage and confusion that has been clinging on me. I'm shutting down and I don't even know why. My hands turned red and itchy the moment I decided that I'm feeling a little bit okay. I walked towards one of the empty benches and sat down all alone and waited until the bell for our next period rang.

The rest of my day reeled pretty quickly and I was glad that it was everything that I hoped for. Today's our first day of basketball practice and I found myself changing with the rest of the team. I slipped on my jersey and I honestly don't feel galvanized to finally touch a ball after how many months. I only joined this school's basketball team because everybody thought I'm good at it. Being the team captain feels so good in every way possible but that doesn't mean I'm the best player. I looked at all the familiar faces and they all looked like this isn't exciting at all. To be honest, there's really nothing much exciting about having a lose streak year after year. Our school's basketball team had been losing every match even before I joined the team.

"Do you think we need some changes in the team?" Phil raised an unexpected question as he sat down right beside me and began tying his shoe lace.

"Maybe." I replied.

"Coach is thinking of recruiting new players." He added.

"What?" I was thrown in a verge of confusion. I don't think there are still students who are interested in joining the team.

Everyone knows our school's team is the shittiest basketball team. If someone wants to join the team, then they better be really good at it. They better be as close to a Lebron or a Jordan. Quite frankly, that's too much to ask but it's everything that the team needs if they want to at least break the losing streak.

We started our warm-up the moment we were at the court. Coach Lottersky sounded very hyped and electrified as he counted for us. I started to feel my body heat up by the time we got to the knee warm up and I guess I was ready to show my average basketball skills. After twenty minutes, Coach Lottersky decided to group us into two teams. Thankfully there are exactly ten of us that we didn't need to compromise and adjust.

He called me first and then he called Phil as the opposing team's captain. At first I was challenged that I'm going to face my best friend in a practice match until I noticed that I was the only one separated from my buddies. It felt awful to be excluded from the people you have connection with. Phil, Marlon and Leopold where all at the opposite team which means they all have the upper hand. My team are comprised of the players that have spent most of their career sitting at the benches. I looked at Coach Lottersky with blunt confusion as to why he grouped me with these bunch of losers. I barely asked the question but he was quick to let out his thoughts before I could even open my mouth and speak. He said this is to help the other players grow. I don't even think that this is helping these losers grow. It is very clear that the distribution of the team is perfectly imbalance. I don't even have the smallest connections with these bad players.

We began playing and for a while, I was surprised that my team was leading but that's all because of me. The score was 15-8 in favor of my team. I noticed Phil was seemingly throwing the game but then things quickly turned the other way around right after one of my teammates, Irvin, began stealing the spotlight from me. Irvin kept on nagging me to pass the ball to him and every time I throw the ball at him he either fails to catch it or he let it be stolen from him. The score had a complete one eighty turn and I was beginning to get pressured to carry my team of losers.

"You fucking shit!" I yelled. I finally got mad at Irvin and I ended up punching him in the face.

Everyone was shocked and they all stopped from moving. I heard Phil began to hype me up. Irvin was thrown off balance but I wasn't finished.