CHAPTER 8.3: The Kiss

AUGUST

Our first break finally came and the first thing I did was to go to the usual spot where I found Mary, Rock, and Gustav all huddled up. They were all wearing their Monday faces which isn't that much of a surprise. I would describe it as grumpy and tired. I'm getting confused as to why they look like they are so over this thing called high school life when they clearly don't have anything to worry about. I am the one who has a lot of things to worry about. I guess I should be the one wearing those long and saggy expressions.

"Hey guys," I put on my cheerful face as I sat down right beside Gustav who was busy having his snack. "How was...." I was about to ask how did their weekends went but Rock cut me off.

"So how was it?" Rock asked eagerly, his saggy expression changed to a better one.

"How was what?" I asked just having a hint of what he was talking about.

"Don't act brand new, August. How was hanging out with the popular ladies?" Rock repeats his question and this time, he made it very specific.

"Oh, it was fun." I began. "The karaoke night was fun. We had a bottle of vodka and partied like there's no tomorrow. And did you know that Victoria and Nicole smoke cigarettes?"

"You had alcohol?" Gustav asked with his mouth full. I was expecting they would be surprised by my revelation that Victoria and Nicole are smoking a cigarette but I guess they were much more surprised by the presence of alcohol.

"Of course they did." Mary babbled out. She just finished putting on some pressed powder on her face and now she looked very light. "And apparently Rachel tried to kiss him."

"Holy mother of....." Rock was about to curse out in a very loud manner that could've captured everyone's attention if I wasn't quick enough to shut him down.

"Shut the fuck up!" I was rattled and I rapidly covered Rock's mouth.

"She just what?" Rock finally toned his voice down after I removed my hands off of him.

"Yes. She did." I nodded in agreement.

"Bruh! The Rachel Curtis tried to....." Rock seemed to have a spasm of total astonishment. "You are fucking awesome man!"

"August, you are the man!" Gustav spat. He left the rest of his sandwich on the table and went on to massage my shoulder blades as a form of adoration. "You are really the man!"

"Stop that Gustav!" I uttered shaking him off.

I don't understand why Rock and Gustav love to do that to me. They always pat or massage my shoulder blades as if I am a mafia boss hungry for that kind of attention which I'm clearly not. I think there's nothing special about Rachel trying to kiss me but I guess their reactions are all based on their apparent crush on Rachel.

"Hey Mary, can I talk to you for a second?" I said finally seeking Mary's full attention.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Uhm..." I paused and gave her some kind of eye gesture to move a bit away from Rock and Gustav.

"Okay," Mary got what I was trying to say and stood up.

We both walked far away towards the nearest tree where Rock and Gustav couldn't hear us.

"I just want to know what do you think about this crazy situation that I got myself into." I let out. I know Mary is the perfect candidate that I should be trusting about this information. "I may have given Rachel some kind of impression."

"What do you mean you have given Rachel some kind of impression?" She asked and I can clearly tell how confused she was.

"Uhm, okay. Here's what happened. I just panicked that she might be embarrassed for trying to kiss me on our first time hanging out and I just wanted to reassure her that I'm okay with it that there is no malice. I texted her and I think I may have created this impression that I like her."