22.5: Love & Predicament

AUGUST

Monday rolled in almost pretty quickly and I don't know what to feel about it's sudden arrival. I was wishing for a longer weekend and maybe by then, I have made up my mind. I haven't drafted any clear plan as of the moment and I'm not comfortable about scrambling and making naïve decisions. This is why Monday's are the scariest day in a week apart from what most people call Friday the 13th.

I woke up the instant my alarm clock began beeping which was just my typical wake up call. I still have a few minutes to adjust and shake the drowsiness but I stayed on my bed for a while longer instead. The warmth of the blanket draped over my entire body seemed to be hugging me so tight that I don't want to jump out of bed just yet. I just stared above the ceiling as I deeply pondered about the reality that I'm about to face in the next few hours. Rachel and I did not have the time to talk about what happened last Friday night and I'm stressing myself out if I should bring the topic out myself or should I just keep my mouth shut passively until she brings it out herself. I might have to choose the latter and be the passive straight dude. I hate being the passive one but I don't have much of a choice.

After some time, I eventually propped myself up and sat at the edge of my bed. Still yawning, the first thing that I did was to grab my phone with this open presumption that someone might have finally decided to respond to me. I immediately opened my inbox only to see nothing new which was utterly disappointing. There are no new messages from anyone, not even Rachel, who was always the one sending me these sweet good morning greetings never greeted me this morning. Ambrose not responding to me was already well expected and well accepted but Rachel surprisingly ignoring me was something different. I thought that's way too bizarre considering the reality of Rachel's obsession with me.

I tried shaking every thought that's running around my mind away and I ended up walking towards the bathroom to take a shower. The shower was everything that I needed to wake my sleepy soul up. I chose to have a cold shower and it somehow woke my senses up and running. I was screaming and shaking in order to gain tolerance of the nippy water and it only made me energized, it also brought back some of the eagerness. By the time I was done showering, I quickly slipped into my uniform and eventually joined my parents at the breakfast table.

While I was eating breakfast, my phone buzzed and blinked letting me know that someone sent me a message. Finally! My hand was quick to drop the spoon and I snatched the gadget almost like a hungry bullfrog snatching an unsuspecting fly perched on a leaf. My mind went in obvious exhilaration immediately assuming that it was a message from Ambrose. I tapped on my phone and I was slightly dismayed that the message was from Rachel.

RACHEL: Good morning. Won't be dropping by. My aunt's got my car keys. Sorry.

I scoffed in absolute distress. I wasn't really expecting that free ride to school but that was my one moment to be alone with Rachel and now it's been taken away from me. That was the only privacy that I have with Rachel and it might actually be the best time for me to ask her about her thoughts about the house party and perhaps, with my seamless wit, I could poke some questions that might lead her to opening up the topic. Now I'm really going to have to struggle to wait for her to bring it up at school just so we could talk about it.

I wondered if Miss Briar caught Rachel and she might actually be grounded. That might be the reason why. I read the message for the second time and it appeared like it.

***

It's been over a month since the last time I took my bicycle with me to school and I was feeling somehow rusty. I had to struggle for a while until I eventually recalled the feeling of riding a bicycle and everything went smooth and easy right after that. I missed the natural breeze that's brushing over me every time I try to speed up and it was rather refreshing to the feeling. I passed by Mary's house and I suddenly thought of waiting for her. I really forgot about her and her gang, I'm not sure if they still call themselves the losers club but if there's one thing that I know for sure, no one's actually calling their group that. I haven't heard anyone call them that in over a month and I guess that should be a good progress. I thought maybe this was just the right time for me to catch up with them. I waited for about five minutes hoping that Mary would walk out of that door but she didn't. I eventually grew impatient and decided to knock at their doorstep. Mary's mom greeted me eventually revealing that Mary had left earlier.

I resumed riding my way to school until I was already passing by the bridge and I felt weirdly unstable. There are a lot of feelings rushing inside of me that I'm not sure which one to focus on. I know am feeling just the right amount of eagerness to go to school knowing the fact that I have a lot of things to handle. But with the eagerness comes this underlying fear and nervousness. Not knowing what's going to happen was scary in the slightest. I don't have any idea what to expect about Ambrose at all. Is he still going to ignore me once he sees me? Or is he going to jump at me like how he used to do when he's upset? That's puzzling me a bit. I never received any message from Ambrose for the past forty-eight hour and clearly, that's a message in itself too. It only meant that he doesn't want to talk to me.

But I really want to talk to him.

I don't know what my plan is but I know I want to see Ambrose and maybe, just maybe, sneak away to have a conversation with him. Talking to Ambrose was hard even before all of this and that's because everyone still has this knowledge that we aren't in good terms, or in obvious term, we are still the matching rivals. It's quite awful to think that talking to Ambrose would become extremely difficult now that he's ignoring me.

I didn't know I was already running late. I just arrived in front of the school gate and I was just taking my time until I saw some of the students were running like they were rushing from something. They were actually rushing. I checked my phone and there's only good two minutes left. I'm fucking late. I forgot to check the time earlier and now I have to rush just like everyone else. Maybe I enjoyed the ride to school more than realizing that it's not a field trip. I pedaled at a fast pace until I got to the parking rack in no time. I quickly tied my bicycle and the next thing I know; I was running towards the school building.