CHAPTER 11.2: This Thing Called Tension

AUGUST

"August?! You didn't tell me you were coming," Mary spat as she rushed her way out of the door. She seemed quite surprised at my sudden appearance and honestly, I would be too.

"Yeah, I was just about to pass by when I remembered we haven't actually talked to each other in a while." I went on.

Mary had already grown on me in the short time that we hanged out. That's not surprising considering the fact that we share something in common. She doesn't know that I'm gay but I know that she likes girls too and that's enough for us to have an unspoken understanding of each other. I have this certainty in me that our friendship will still grow to a budding flower. We just had to take things separately and secretly. She's okay with my plan on pursuing the one and only Rachel Curtis even though she has a huge crush on her. Maybe it's the fact that she knew she's not going anywhere near Rachel and I reckon I was the only tie that she's going to ever have to Rachel. She still doesn't know the fact that part of the reason why I wanted to ask Rachel out is because I wanted the popularity that's coming along with it. I know that's terribly awful of me and I'm disgusted by myself for hiding that opportunistic part of me. I have got to do what I need to do to make my high school life one of the best experience that I will have.

"Just say you miss me," She uttered in a snarky manner.

"Ahahaha!" I began cackling. "No, I won't."

"Then why you here?" She raised her eyebrows on me and that's when I noticed the freshness emanating from her appearance. She hasn't applied that mascara yet, just a thin layer of eyeliner which I'm guessing she also rushed. Despite all of that, she appeared very much refreshing to eye.

"Okay, I miss you."

"See, it ain't that hard to miss me."

"I didn't say that."

We were already on our way to where I left my bicycle.

"Well no one misses me anyway. Even Rock and Gustav."

"Really?" I suddenly felt bad about her.

"No, shit. I was just kidding, of course they miss me too but they just never say it to my face."

"Maybe they're embarrassed by it?"

"I know because they are losers, right? We are losers." Mary spoke and she's doing this self-deprecating thing again.

"Gosh, Mary. Stop saying that. You are not a loser." I said making my voice having some sort of emphasis hoping that I would cheer her up.

"I mean look at you," She inched a few steps away from me and with her hands, she acted as if she's presenting me to a crowd. "You are even more popular than you were two weeks ago."

"I doubt that." She's right but I just have to play nice and respectful that I won't her feelings.

"Two weeks ago, you are just August Levisay and now you are the August Levisay."

She's over praising me and I don't think I like being praised like a god. I don't even feel like the August Levisay that she's talking about but I'm honestly jumping with so much joy inside as if I had already accomplished a lot of things. Somehow it feels extremely good that people like you. I tried to keep my cool and pretended to be normal.

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Are we going to walk or?" Mary inquired and I'm guessing she's thinking the same thing that I was thinking.

"You are going to hitch a ride on my bicycle."

"Are you sure? I'm really heavy and I don't think you can pedal with someone behind you." Mary went on and I was already on the bicycle.